Leak where toilet tank connects to bowl

Old 07-20-10, 02:39 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leak where toilet tank connects to bowl

I got a Fluidmaster flush valve kit. Where the tank meets the bowl, it leaks bad after I installed it. I went to a plumbing parts store and they said the big rubber gasket looked like a Gerber, so I bought one they said might fit and put it on in place of the Fluidmaster gasket. Still have leak. I have taken the toilet apart about 10 times to be sure everything was tightened and fit right and am totally out of ideas.

Put the Fluidmaster back on and still have the leak.

Help please

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-10, 02:50 PM
I assume you have a Gerber toilet? did you change the gaskets that are on the bolts?

Old 07-20-10, 03:02 PM
C
Yes, changed those gaskets too.

Old 07-21-10, 01:19 PM
One other thing you can try, put some food coloring in the tank, let it sit for a while and look for a stain, it may tell you exactly where the leak is comming from.

Keep in mind that some toilets you have to use the EXACT bowl to tank gasket, close usually won't work.

Old 07-21-10, 02:00 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by cmdman View Post
I got a Fluidmaster flush valve kit. Where the tank meets the bowl, it leaks bad after I installed it. I went to a plumbing parts store and they said the big rubber gasket looked like a Gerber, so I bought one they said might fit and put it on in place of the Fluidmaster gasket. Still have leak. I have taken the toilet apart about 10 times to be sure everything was tightened and fit right and am totally out of ideas.

Put the Fluidmaster back on and still have the leak.

Help please
An easy extra step which has solved "mystery" tanks leaks for me in the past: if the interior bottom of the tank is not perfectly smooth,

take a bit of emory paper and smooth the bottom around the bolt holes, and if you are replacing it, the valve.