Toilet leaks from handle

Old 07-25-10, 03:02 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet leaks from handle

I have a Mansfield toilet that is about 8 years old. The entire inside was replaced about 6 months ago due to the exact same problem that is happening again. The water leaks from the handle because the mechanism (fluidmaster) doesn't stop the water when it reaches the filled level. I realize you can get a faulty part but it was 6 months ago and this is the same thing that was happening when it was replaced. Any suggestions? My plumber is recuperating from surgery...

Old 07-25-10, 03:59 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I was never a fan of the "fluidmaster" brand. Look for something else.

Old 07-25-10, 07:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Has the inlet corrugated pipe been adjusted and has the cup been adjusted? Sounds as if the water level is not being controlled properly. How high is the overflow pipe in relation to the handle? Have you purged the crud from inside the valve? I have never had a problem out of Fluidmaster 400's, sorry Pulpo.

Old 07-25-10, 08:16 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The handle isn't suppose to not leak. One apartment complex I worked the overflow tubes were higher then the handles in all the apartments. Discovered the first one the hard way when a ballcock stuck while the tenant was at work. Not sure if the pros will agree but I cut off everyone of the overflows to a half inch or so below the handle but still above the fill line.

Last edited by ray2047; 07-25-10 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-26-10, 12:35 AM
F
Fluidmaster fill valves

The float on a Fluidmaster fill valve can hang up as rises on the fill-shaft do to dirt or the like around the shaft or the float itself. There is an arm that comes out of the top of the fill valve that connects to the float with a wire. Move that arm up and down quickly several times to knock out any dirt or build-up between the shaft and float so it can rise smoothly. Then make certain the water level is proper for the overflow and tank.

Old 07-26-10, 10:28 AM
B
Well, I checked and the overflow IS above the handle. I tried everything else that was suggested (that I understand!), but I broke down and called a plumber. Thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: