Leaking shower base

Old 09-01-10, 12:33 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking shower base

I had a leak into the room next to my shower, which has a tile floor. After the carpet dried out, I ran the shower for about 15 minutes, and found the carpet was wet again.

I understand this is most likely caused by a failed shower pan (the shower is likely about 40-50 years old, I am assuming part of the original construction).

What I'm wondering is this:

Do I have to basically replace the shower? I've been quoted around 5-7k to replace it, and am trying to find a cheaper solution. Seems like I ought to be able to just seal the floor, or put in a 1 piece fiberglass base around the bottom or something.

My goal is to have my fix last for a reasonable amount of time without costing too much (or lowering the value of my house more than the cost of replacing the shower).
here's a picture of he shower for reference:
http://bit.ly/ayBa47

Thanks much for any advice.

Cheers,
Kem

edit:
Have been looking around for solutions, and I came across a website that does some process called saniglaze -- they describe it like this:
It extracts embedded contaminants, bonds the clean grout with a proprietary armor-like polymer material that makes it non-porous, and coats the surface with a proprietary protective coating.
I called the company, and they assured me that their process had been used in the past to fix a failed shower pan problem, but I wanted to get a 2nd opinion -- they quoted me somewhere around $700.00 to clean / seal the grout in the whole shower.

Last edited by Eegore; 09-01-10 at 12:53 PM. Reason: ask about a possible solution
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-10, 01:27 PM
>>>I understand this is most likely caused by a failed shower pan<<<

I think you have to confirm that the base is leaking before you spend any money on it.

Old 09-01-10, 02:24 PM
E
I'm not sure how to confirm it is the shower pan without ripping out the shower. The carpet was dry, then I ran the shower, and the carpet got wet immediately. I had a plumber out to the house earlier today also, and he didn't think it was the shower at all (of course he turned out to be wrong after I tested it), so there is nothing obviously wrong with the visible plumbing. Any suggestion on how to do that would be much appreciated / or suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks much,
Kem

Old 09-02-10, 03:03 PM
It could be the shower valve or the drain, try dumping water into the shower and see if it leaks, if it does the base or drain is leaking, if not you can take the drain and base out of the equation, leaks can be hard to find.

Old 09-05-10, 03:45 PM
E
I had my tenant run a couple more tests, that I think point to a problem with the side of the drain.

He ran water from the shower into a bucket. No leak.

He put duct tape over the drain, filled the base of the shower with an inch or so of water, let it sit. No leak.

He then ran the shower again, and it leaked. the water does not drain super fast though -- it fills up to the grate in the shower. I believe probably there is a leak on the side of the drain, so when it is full of water it leaks out the side.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I'm attaching a picture of the drain.