1.5 to 1.25 pipe for bathroom sink

Old 09-02-10, 03:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question 1.5 to 1.25 pipe for bathroom sink

Howdy!! The pipe to the trap pipe in my bathroom sink is 1.5 inches coming out of the sink and reduces to 1.25 inches. The pipe broke when trying to separate it from the trap pipe which had rotted. It had a fine thread and is 6 inches long. I went to a local hardware store and one of the guys with 40 years experience in plumbing had never seen such a pipe. The guy at Home Despot had no idea either. The house was built in 1969. Is there a place online with such a pipe so I don't have to replace the sink? Thank you much for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-10, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by NEsportsfan View Post
Howdy!! The pipe to the trap pipe in my bathroom sink is 1.5 inches coming out of the sink and reduces to 1.25 inches. The pipe broke when trying to separate it from the trap pipe which had rotted. It had a fine thread and is 6 inches long. I went to a local hardware store and one of the guys with 40 years experience in plumbing had never seen such a pipe. The guy at Home Despot had no idea either. The house was built in 1969. Is there a place online with such a pipe so I don't have to replace the sink? Thank you much for any input.
thats very strange. Your saying down downpipe from the sink drain is 1.5" . usually its 1.25" and the main pipe in the wall will be 1.5" Can you possibly just change out the whole P-Trap assembly. might be easier than trying to mix and match pieces.

Old 09-02-10, 06:01 PM
Thinking about changing the whole sink now, so I won't have to worry about it the next time a pipe corrodes.

Old 09-03-10, 11:44 AM
Tailpiece

Here's a picture of a threaded tailpiece, if thats not what you want I don't have a clue, these can be had at most plumbing supplies in different lengths.

Old 09-03-10, 12:57 PM
At the top it is 1.5 inches and tapers down very quickly to 1.25". Looks kinda like a 2 D cell flashlight made of pipe.

Old 09-04-10, 02:11 PM
You might be better off replacing the whole assembly in 1 1/4in.

Old 09-04-10, 02:53 PM
Thinking new sink and vanity. The two toilets are being replaced too as well as the other sink and vanity.