Lavatory Faucet for Tub?

Old 09-07-10, 01:59 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Lavatory Faucet for Tub?

Having difficulty locating a wall mount tub-only faucet. I have found several wall mount lavatory faucets that I like. Is there any reason why I couldn't use a lavatory faucet as a tub filler? Is the flow rate significantly lower? If so, could I somehow increase the flow rate?

Anyone know if it's possible (or wise) to install a deck mount tub filler/faucet directly to a fiberglass tub. Seems like a bad idea considering it would likely be a flimsy mounting and would have the potential for cracking. Just though I'd ask. Can't believe how difficult it is to find the type of faucet we want without spending $500+.

Last edited by mossman; 09-07-10 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-08-10, 01:01 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Lavatory faucets are covered under the federal law that limits the flow rate to about 1-1/2 gallons per minute maximum. Most tub faucets will flow in excess of five gallons per minute. I don't know if you could butcher a lavatory faucet into having a higher flow rate, maybe yes on some models and no on others.

I would state that whether or not it is wise to use a deck-mount faucet on a fiberglass tub would depend on how strong the tub is at the point where you want to mount the faucet. You might be able to reinforce it with a piece of plywood if the faucet stems are long enough. I would also think the problem would be worse if the spout is located where it might be used as a handle by a person in the tub or when entering or leaving the tub.

Old 09-08-10, 03:58 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
I think will stick with the wall mount option. We'll just have to forget about matching it to the shower fixture, but will definitely match the tub and lavatory faucets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: