Toilet tank fill valve leaks at top during flush but not after

Old 09-10-10, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet tank fill valve leaks at top during flush but not after

I've been hearing a dripping sound in my toilet tank during a flush, so I decided to take a look at what was happening in there. When I flushed the toilet with the lid water began to steadily drip out of the top of the valve, but when the float closed the valve after the tank filled the leak stops.

The toilet functions normally and no water is leaked out of the tank or wasted; the leak from the top helps to refill the tank. Because of this I'm not motivated to replace the valve (I assume that's what I'd have to do to fix it). If I continue to ignore this, what's the worst that could happen?

I don't think I want to ignore this indefinitely; it's just a matter of prioritizing. If I need to make it a high priority to fix these toilets I'd really like to know.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-10, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It may be entirely normal....I've seen valves where lots of water came out the top to fill the tank.

If it's a Flushmaster...I don't think they do that. I'd put it on the list maybe...but it would be pretty far down. As long as the float valve works and it doesn't leak or refill w/o being flushed....no sweat.