One Piece Toilet Flushing Problem

Old 09-23-10, 04:32 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
One Piece Toilet Flushing Problem

I have installed many toilets in the past but I can’t solve the problem with this one.

I installed this Uberhaus 1 piece elongated toilet in my laundry room and all went well except when I want to flush the toilet I must hold down the button otherwise not all the water in the tank is drained because when I release the button the flapper inside the tank closes and shuts off the flow of water.

I know from other toilets that this is a matter of adjusting the chain length between the lever arm and the flapper but as you can see from the attached photos the chain between these two points is tight now and if I make it any sorter the flapper will stay open at all times.

Laundry Toilet pictures by kolias - Photobucket

In other words when I press the button to flush, the lever lifts the flapper only half way up and then when I release the lever the water above the flapper forces the flapper shut. In my opinion, the lever arm needs to be longer by about 2” to 3” so it is right over the flapper. This way the lever arm will have a longer travel and it will be able to lift the flapper to the vertical position.

Any other ideas?

Old 09-23-10, 05:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Lengthen the chain and insert the keeper in a hole further back on the brass rod. This will give angle to the attack and keep the flapper open longer. Let us know how it goes.

Old 09-23-10, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Lengthen the chain and insert the keeper in a hole further back on the brass rod. This will give angle to the attack and keep the flapper open longer. Let us know how it goes.
Sorry Chandler but it didn’t work and I knew it but had to tried out

To my opinion, using the holes on the brass rod further back only sortens the up / dn travel of the brass rod but does not lift the flapper further up and that’s what is needed. In fact I think its worst because the flapper opens less. I did try both other holes in the brass rod.

I added another photo on the same link I have in my first post, please have a look. Doing the work above I noticed that on the flapper there are two “ears” to hold the chain. I moved the chain to the other “ear” as my new photo indicates and the flapper is raised now a bit more but not enough. It still closes when I release the button because of the weight of the water on top of it. The flapper has to be in the exact vertical position and then the water going down doesn’t let the flapper to close until all the water is gone; my other toilets are like that – the flapper stays vertical.

I still believe that the brass rod must be longer. I will go to the store tomorrow and see if I can get a longer one unless someone has another idea.

Old 09-24-10, 04:39 AM
The overfill tube assembly looks to be installed backwards. The tube normally is installed 180 degrees from where it is now. That would allow the flapper to be "pulled" over rather than being lifted partway as you are doing now. Sorry, didn't see that at the first instance. Was it installed like that from the factory? If so, maybe it is right. I just have never seen them installed in that position.

Old 09-24-10, 08:00 AM
When I bought this toilet, the flush system was installed and all I did was install the brass lever / flush button assembly thru the side of the tank and connect the chain (which was already connected to the flapper) to the brass lever.

I will connect a temporary extension to the brass lever to extend it over the flapper and give it a try and will post the results

Thanks Chandler

Old 09-24-10, 10:06 AM
My “theory” didn’t work LOL. I added another photo in my above link to see what I did.

My next step is to go to the store and ask the “experts” there for a solution. Unfortunately Uberhause does not have a web site to ask them directly. I guess these toilets were made in China?

Old 09-24-10, 11:55 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
German name for a Chinese toilet

What's next?

Old 09-24-10, 12:11 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
...otherwise not all the water in the tank is drained...
Modern toilets do not dump all the water from the tank when flushing. Maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the water will dump under normal operation.

Old 09-24-10, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
Modern toilets do not dump all the water from the tank when flushing. Maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the water will dump under normal operation.
Didn't know that, perhaps that's my problem and I guess I have to live with it.

Thanks for the info

Old 09-26-10, 08:08 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I just replaced a toilet,(American Standard) and with it,th as furd said, not all the water in the tank gets dumped.
I looked at your pictures, and in the second one ( the one with the captions about chain settings), it looks like the flapper valve is on a small pedestal (similar to the setup in my new toilet) the water will never drain below that level, and that is by design. As long as it works to clean the bowl, it's okay.

Old 09-26-10, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Mikedel View Post
I just replaced a toilet,(American Standard) and with it,th as furd said, not all the water in the tank gets dumped.
I looked at your pictures, and in the second one ( the one with the captions about chain settings), it looks like the flapper valve is on a small pedestal (similar to the setup in my new toilet) the water will never drain below that level, and that is by design. As long as it works to clean the bowl, it's okay.

Thanks for the reply.

I know that the water will never drain below the pedestal but in my case, the water level above the pedestal to the full water line level is 5.5” and it only drains less than half of that and It does not clean the bowl properly if you don’t hold the flush button for a couple of seconds; by holding the button you keep the flapper open and therefore you give a chance for all the water (above the pedestal) to drain.

I went to the place I bought this toilet and the guy, although very helpful, had no idea why this happens. But he showed me how to remove the flapper and I have added a new photo to the same link as above. You will see that the flapper has a small hole at the bottom which was getting filled with water and thus making the flapper heavier. I put some duct tape as the photo shows and now it drains more water but still not enough.

I’m still investigating what to do next

Old 09-26-10, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
German name for a Chinese toilet

What's next?
Now I get it, you are right on

Old 09-26-10, 04:11 PM
F
Remember that all toilets are hand made and that a one-piece is significantly harder to make than a two-piece and therefore there are more rejects from quality control. I don't know how much you paid for your toilet but I would never consider a one-piece that cost less than $250. You may just have a cheap lousy toilet.

Old 09-26-10, 06:08 PM
Of course price is a factor but when I was shopping for one, the looks was also very important and I had set my eyes on that one which was CAD$210.00 + $30.00 for the seat. Then they had a sale and I went for it at CAD$150.00 + $30.00 for the seat. The most expensive was CAD$300.00 also from Uberhaus but didn’t like the looks anyway.

You are right that I may have a lousy toilet but if this is the case at least I enjoy the looks LOL and besides, she is in the laundry room which means is not used very often; also not a big deal to hold the button for a couple of seconds. The main thing here is that I bought a new toilet and she supposed to work properly. When I went to the store to discuss the problem the guy said that I have a 1 year warranty on the flush system and 5 years in the bowl. So if there is no fix, I could return the unit if I wanted but I doubt that I will do that since I like this unit and the wife says it’s not that important the flushing problem

I will be renovating my main bath soon and I will be more careful now when I select a toilet but the looks will still be very important. Funny thing is that I never saw a one piece toilet from either American Standard or Kohler, seems that Uberhaus have invade all the local stores LOL

Didn’t know that toilets are hand made, thought now days everything is automated. Nice to know, thanks for the tip.

Old 09-27-10, 12:19 AM
F
I understand what you are writing when you state you want a good looking toilet. I despise all the trapwork being visible and so I bought the Toto Carlyle one-piece toilet. The cost was somewhere around $350 almost ten years ago. Toto is the world's largest manufacturer of toilets and their quality control is second to none. You might want to check them out at http://www.totousa.com/ Don't be scared off by the "list" prices as you can often get a much reduced price from your local plumbing supplier.

Old 09-27-10, 11:48 AM
These are a piece of art my friend, thanks. And I thought Kohler was the best you can buy…..

I search the Toto site and found the dealers in my area. I will definitely visit them when the time comes to buy the plumbing fixtures for my main bath.

Old 09-27-10, 03:18 PM
Day late, but the hole in the bottom of the flapper isn't to let water in, but to trap air and make the flapper float until the water reaches a level where it's own weight will cause it to fall.

Old 09-27-10, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Day late, but the hole in the bottom of the flapper isn't to let water in, but to trap air and make the flapper float until the water reaches a level where it's own weight will cause it to fall.
Good point Chandler thanks, I will remove the duct tape

Old 10-13-11, 01:11 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I recently converted an existing toilet to a dual flush. The maximum flush would empty the tank but the low flush would not completely empty the tank. With the low flush not enough water would be released to empty the bowl unless I held the minimum flush button in for a few seconds. There was an adjustment lever on the side of the flush mechanism in the tank that allowed for adjustment of the amount of water to be released. By adjusting the lever I was able to get minimum flush button to release enough water to empty the bowl without having to hold the button in.

Were there any instructions for the flush mechanism included with the tank?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: