Getting rid of Insinkerator Garbage Disposal

Old 10-10-10, 10:25 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Getting rid of Insinkerator Garbage Disposal

1/3 hp Badger. Broke this morning and flooded my cabinet under the sink. I want to get rid of entirely! Don't need one anyways. Is there something on the market that will just bolt right in and replace it with just pipe? The Insinkerator opening on top seems to be part of the sink. Some sort of adapter needed?

Thanks,

jt

Old 10-10-10, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
It shouldn't be a permanent part of the sink. There is an adapter that is attached in place of a regular strainer assy that the disposer attaches to. You'll need to remove the adapter put in a regular strainer assy and redo the drain piping.

See the chrome assy at the top of the disposer..that mostly stays on the sink when the disposer is taken out...thats what you'll need to remove. They are attached in different ways...most use some sort of bolts as shown but some use large nuts.

Old 10-10-10, 01:55 PM
J
Thanks for fast reply!

Removed the Badger 1 and it was a seam where the bottom is pressed into the outer casing that failed. (maybe some radiator stop leak? LOL) Irritating. Doubt that it is more than 8 years old. I bought this house new in '93 and already replaced the disposal once.

As much as I hate to replace one piece of crap with another, it might be the easiest way to go. My dishwasher drains into the disposal to further complicate things.

I hate plumbing and wish could afford to hire a plumber on my fixed income. Really appreciate forums like this.

Thanks again,

jt

Old 10-10-10, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Go with a step or 2 above the Badger1 Much quieter and better made. By the time you buy all the other stuff...it won't cost much more than getting rid of it completely. It will also be less stress.

Read the directions for install...make sure you break out the plug for the DW.

Old 10-10-10, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 289 Votes on 252 Posts
All you need to do is remove the disposal from the sink. You will then have a standard sink opening that you will install a basket. From the basket you will then need a tail piece with a dishwasher inlet. Then a piece that goes to your main drain. Go here to see mine: Tolyn's drain All in all I bet it will be about $20 (maybe 4 trips to the store )

Old 10-10-10, 03:50 PM
Do it the way that Tolyn Ironhand said, but do not run the dishwasher hose like the way it's showing, it should be comming straight down and then hook into the drain, not laying on the bottom of the cabinet.

Old 10-10-10, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by shacko View Post
Do it the way that Tolyn Ironhand said, but do not run the dishwasher hose like the way it's showing, it should be comming straight down and then hook into the drain, not laying on the bottom of the cabinet.
Just an FYI: the way my dishwasher is made you have to come into the cabinet at the bottom. Otherwise you can not get the dishwasher all the way back to the wall. It is an LG and a HUGE PITA to put in. Big tub though.

Old 10-10-10, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
Well hey hold on! You can't just remove the disposer and hook up plumbing. You need a new basket strainer..piping..etc.

Depending on your sink..you may need to get a different strainer assy....took me 3 trips to get one that fit correctly. Finally wound up with a fancy one that was almost $20. And does the OP have the tools required to cut the tailpieces, wrench to remove the adapter if needed.

A $60 replacement disposer might be much cheaper and less hassle.

This is why I hate plumbing! So many variables.

Old 10-11-10, 07:28 AM
J
Thanks so much for the great replies!

Looks like the best way for a novice like me would be to get another disposal that will be as easy to install as it was to remove. Going to Home Depot this morning. 18 or 20 mile drive and there is a Lowes nearby too. Maybe Walmart has too?

L8r....

Old 10-11-10, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Walmart does show one online but it is $120. Might be better off going to a home improvement store.

Old 10-11-10, 04:35 PM
Dishwasher Hook-Up

Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Just an FYI: the way my dishwasher is made you have to come into the cabinet at the bottom. Otherwise you can not get the dishwasher all the way back to the wall. It is an LG and a HUGE PITA to put in. Big tub though.
Comming thru the side should not stop you from putting a high loop or air gap on the drain, what you have WILL cause future problems.

Old 10-11-10, 05:10 PM
J
Was at Home Depot today and they had the Badger 1 for $79 and the badger 5 for $99. Spoke with several employees and got some interesting comments abt the units and super instructions for eliminating entirely for less than $20. In a nutshell... for years they had no complaints and the expected life of the Badger 1 was close to 20 years. In the last few years they have had many complaints of the casing cracking and leaking on units less than 10 years old.

It might take me a few days to do everything and take pics, but will get back with you. Quite frankly, looks like a piece of cake. The new basket strainer was the most expensive at $10.96 and the pvc pipe with dishwasher inlet only $3.77. Like I said, it might take a few days because have other things going on.

Old 10-18-10, 08:59 AM
J
Finished!

Only took 3 trips to HD. LOL

Thanks for the help. Discovered a new problem under the sink, but probably should start another thread.

Old 10-18-10, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Glad it worked out...at least I was right about the 3 trips...lol. I'd like to see another pic from a diff angle...it almost looks like you have two drains going into the wall?

Old 10-18-10, 10:50 AM
J
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Glad it worked out...at least I was right about the 3 trips...lol. I'd like to see another pic from a diff angle...it almost looks like you have two drains going into the wall?
Yes, the other side of the sink.

If I had only taken and posted pictures from the very beginning it might have been a single trip to HD.

One other thing... removing the basket. The Insinkerator assembly had a retaining ring that I didn't know about until HD visit #3. Almost took a 4' crowbar to it until sobered up and came to my senses:

YouTube - Insinkerator Basket Retaining Ring

Old 10-18-10, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Ahh yeah...I remember that ring...I've only had to replace the basket a couple of times..none recently...so I didn't remember.

That double drain thing is the wierdest setup I've ever seen. If they both go into the same pipe in the wall it seems like it could cause slow draining of the right sink? Well, if it works I guess it works..right?

Old 10-24-10, 07:17 PM
C
well Poo. i have a newish insinkerator, can't find the model #.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: