Water leaking from under bathtub on to floor ONLY when showering.

Old 10-25-10, 03:13 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water leaking from under bathtub on to floor ONLY when showering.

Hi,

I have a full bathroom in the basement and whenever used to shower, water appears on the floor and it seems like it's coming from under the tub. This bathroom tub had a sliding doors prior and recently went with curtains.

Already done.
1. bought a longer curtain
2. have a tub guard on both sides
3. magnetic shower curtains.

When I inspect the tub from crawl place in garage, there is no sign of water under neath the tub. any help is appreciated as I am a new homeowner as of this year.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-10, 03:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Good morning and welcome to the forums!! If it is only when showering and appears to come from under the tub, your shower riser pipe may be compromised. To first check it, pull the little cover away from the wall where the shower arm comes through the wall. With a flashlight, see if there is a leak when you turn the shower on. If that is unproductive, is the wall behind the shower valve accessible? I mean is it in a closet? You really will need to gain access to that area by cutting the drywall out so you can see what is happening. It can be patched and repainted, so don't worry. Let us know what you find at the shower head.

Old 10-25-10, 10:22 AM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey, Im Chris and I work at The Home Depot. chandler is got you in the right direction. I had/have a similar issue, in my case it turns out the connection where my shower arm meets the dog ear (the elbow just inside the wall connecting your shower arm to the line running down to your valve assembly), was spraying a tiny stream of water inside the wall and behind the toilet. In effect causing it to seem like my toilet was leaking anytime I took a shower. Id also check at the valve if you can access it, as those connections can get finicky over the years. After you track down the source the remedy can be something as simple as the tightening of a connection, or possibly something more involved like replacement of a stem or valve. Hope you can get this sorted as water damage is no fun at all.
Cheers,
ChrisFixit