Replacing all parts on 1990 toilet -- using Fluidmaster 404LGR kit

Old 11-16-10, 10:49 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing all parts on 1990 toilet -- using Fluidmaster 404LGR kit

Hi, I am trying to install a "complete total toilet repair kit." I have hard water and all the parts were worn and not-so-great.

I can't get the tank to seat on the gasket to form a perfect tank-to-bowl seal. I've tried three times, making sure the flapper kit was secure, the gasket on correctly, bolts correct, etc each time. (I am worn out, lifting the tank off three times and one three times and tightening those hard to reach bolts three times.)

So I came here to look for info, read other posts.

Here's what I think I figured out, just need to know what order to act.

Gasket: The gaskets are not all the same? (Sigh, couldn't some things just be interchangable parts?) The toilets are all standard builder issue circa 1990. Is it possible I need a different gasket altogether than the one provided in a standard kit? If yes, and the old gasket is a misshapen clump, what information do I take to a store to get the right one? Does Lowe's have a selection or do I need to go to a plumbing supply store?

Bolts: Is it possible I tightened the bolts too tight? Or would somehow getting them tighter help? I used a level while I tightened them to try to make sure I got it even after my first failure, thinking that might help, no go.

Any thing other than a different sized gasket and/or tighter or looser bolts that might help? The instructions didn't say to wait, but perhaps it just takes some time and it auto-magically seats in the next 6 hours?

Any ideas on logically proceeding from this current epic fail to a success are most welcome. Thanks in advance for helping me piece together all the ideas on the forum into a sensible plan of action.

Old 11-17-10, 03:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Let's do it the easy way. Buy an extra set of tank to bowl bolts and nuts. Install the items in the kits as follows from inside the tank downward. First bolt through rubber washer. Under the tank rubber washer, metal washer, nut. Do this on both sides. Now you have a water tight tank. The tank to bowl gasket comes in two configurations. One is perfectly round and the other has a cut out for the spud nut under the tank. You'll need the right one. Once you find and affix the right one, install the tank on the bowl. Now with your nut/bolt kit, install metal washer and nut to hold it down to the bowl.

Old 11-17-10, 07:53 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cracked the bowl

Started on it tonight, and 24 hours of water dripping showed the drip line clearly. I was nuts for making sure it was tight enough. Cracked the bowl. THANKS.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: