New tub spout with pull-up diverter leaks slightly when the shower is used.

Old 02-16-11, 03:04 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New tub spout with pull-up diverter leaks slightly when the shower is used.

My old tub spout with built-in pull-up diverter was leaking a lot of water from the end of the spout when the shower was being used.

I replaced the spout with a basic push-on spout from Ace Hardware. The old one was a push-on spout also.

The new spout lets out a little bit of water when the shower is running. I expected there to be no water coming from the spout. I've read some different things online and I am not sure if this is an acceptable leak or if no leak is acceptable.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Old 02-16-11, 03:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It will also depend on the water pressure that is hitting the diverter valve. Too little pressure and it can't completely seal. Do you have water pressure problems, or have you checked? You can buy an inexpensive spigot gauge you place on an outside faucet to see what your pressure is, and it can be adjusted via your pressure regulating valve (PRV) if needed. THIS is assuming you are on municipal water. If on a well, different ball game. Playable. Let us know.

Old 02-16-11, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Some of the cheaper spouts leak alittle due to tolerances in how they are made. Some homeowners dont pull up on them enough.

Mike NJ

Old 02-16-11, 03:58 PM
C
Hi Chandler,

Thanks for responding so quickly! You ask a good question, I don't "think" I have water pressure problems but I just may not know if I do or not. I've used showers with much higher water pressure and some with less.

I have not checked the water pressure, but now that you said something, I will definitely pick up a pressure gauge tonight on my way home. I am on municipal water.

I have a few questions that I'd like to ask. I am in a townhouse and have two spigots. Maybe 3 if I have one near the front entrance that I forgot. One near my back patio which is probably frozen shut, and there is another inside my garage. Technically, the one in my garage is inside, but I have a garden hose inside hooked up to it. Will the garage spigot work for the pressure test?

Is the PVR found near the main water shut off for my townhouse?

Will increasing the pressure increase the flow rate (gallons per minute) of water throughout the house? Eg, would I have to be mindful of using an unregulated faucet so I don't waste water?

What should the pressure be in the typical home?

Thanks again!

Old 02-16-11, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Mike is versed on the volume thingy much better than I, but it won't affect your faucets that save on water. The PRV is located as the water comes into the building, usually. Pressure is usually in the range of 65 psi. There is an up and down range, but get too close to 90 lbs + it's too much. Of course much less than 50 or 60 could cause weak water supply to the fixtures.
Mike's idea of the lesser expensive spouts is right on, too. Although I have a good Delta, I am on a well and when it cycles, sometimes it drips if you don't hit it just right.

Old 02-16-11, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
I would not worry about a very little bit of water coming out. As long as its not like 50/50 and affects the shower pressure.

House pressure code in NJ is max 80 psi. Yes you can check at the hose bib in your garage.

Turning up the pressure will not get you more gpm. Higher flow = more friction loss = less pressure.

To get more gpm you need to increase the pipe size.

Mike NJ

Old 02-17-11, 08:29 AM
C
Thank you lawrosa and Chandler for your help. I went to home depot last night to get stuff for this project. I tried to get a delta spout since that seems to be a very well liked product line. HD doesn't sell the delta spouts online. They only sell them as part of a kit - at least in my local store anyway. I'll have to look around online.

I did buy a pressure gauge and the pressure is 58 psi.

I didn't have time to do anything else last night. I'll definitely get to work on it this weekend but hopefully I'll get to do it tonight.

Old 02-17-11, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Its been my experience that these shower diverter spouts are supposed to leak a bit in normal use. When you finish your shower and turn off the water, they are supposed to gradually leak down the residual pressure in the shower riser pipe and allow the diverter to fall back down to the "spout" position. Otherwise, the next person turning on the faucet expecting to fill the bathtup might be in for a bit of a wet surprise when the water comes out the shower instead of the spout.

Old 03-08-11, 09:56 AM
C
Thanks for your help guys. I just wanted to close the loop on this since you took the time to help me.

I ended up changing the spouts in 2 bathrooms. To fix the leak issue, I did a couple "fine tuning" things. I bought some pipe sanding cloth to clean the copper pipe even better. I cleaned it before but not with the best option. I also bought some pipe lubricant. After sanding it and using the lubricant, the spout works perfectly.

The pipe lubricant looks like petroleum jelly. Is it petroleum jelly? I didn't want to chance it and end up with a bad o-ring from using the wrong lubricant.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: