Washer drains into utility sink, can it go directly to the drain?

Old 03-02-11, 01:41 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washer drains into utility sink, can it go directly to the drain?

Here's our set up, sorry for the not so great photo:

You can see the black drain pipe curves over the left edge of the utility sink and sends water into the sink. Is there a reason it's done this way instead of running PVC from the washing machine right into a P trap and down the drain below the sink?

Is it just a low-cost solution or are there benefits to draining into the sink?

Thanks!

Old 03-02-11, 04:25 PM
It's not that easy, in order to run into the drain you need a 2in line (I'm not sure about your line being 2in) a p-trap a stand pipe 18-30in. above the trap and a vent, if you can do it that way, fine.

Old 03-02-11, 04:50 PM
K
It's easy, that's why it's that way. You have to make sure to have the exit pipe up above the highest point in the washer or water will drain before it's done washing. If you feel like it, cut the pipe and install a tee and then route it to the back of the wall behind the washer with the outlet higher than the washer line. Leave an air gap between the drain hole and the washer hose to prevent backup.

Old 03-02-11, 04:58 PM
K
Forgot, you need a sewer/ atmosphere separator (forget name). That's what the loop at the bottom of the sink is for. So if you build something make sure to have a water chamber on it or the room will stink.

Old 03-02-11, 05:04 PM
K
One more thing: shacko may have a point with the 2" thing. It will depend on the flow rate of the washer. I did it with a 1" pipe before but it was draining directly to the yard with no air gap so I'm not sure if your ~1 1/2" pipes will work.

Old 03-02-11, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
No,No,No.... The washer needs a 2" line. Thats why its in the sink. The washer will put too much water in a 1 1/2" line and you will get over flow (plus not to code). This is why the washer drains in the sink. It takes all the water from the washer, kind of like a storage area, then it will drain at its own leisure so to say on what the drain will accept.

Theres nothing wrong with it. The problem is when you leave a plug in the sink, or a rag.

Mike NJ

Old 03-02-11, 09:56 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thanks for all the replies. If the sink drain isn't 2" the only options are 1) Send the hose into the sink like it is, or 2) run 2" drain to the DWV which would involve cutting up the floor?

The thing that got me thinking about this in the first place is that we are thinking of moving the washing machine to a different wall. It would be maybe 3 feet from the sink. Since I'll be running new plumbing anyway it seemed like a good time to change the drain. Since it sounds like I can't change the drain, is it a problem for that black hose to run a few feet before it gets to the sink?

Old 03-02-11, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
is it a problem for that black hose to run a few feet before it gets to the sink?
No.................

Mike NJ

Old 03-03-11, 12:52 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I may be wrong, but when I look at the picture, I'm pretty sure it's a 2" cast tee. At the top of the tee there is a bushing (2" to 1-1/2" would be my guess) where the vent is attached. Coming out of the side of the tee, going into the ell, and it appears as though there's a 2" slip X 1-1/2" MIP adaptor that the tailpiece out of the trap goes into.

If that is indeed the case, then connecting a 2" standpipe and P-trap to a 2" wye where the 2" ell presently is, and reducing the other side of that wye tp 1-1/2" for the drain of the sink wouldn't be that difficult.

A word of caution though -- leave the cast alone!! Who knows how far up that vent goes before it's somehow supported, if it even is.

Old 03-03-11, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
It looks like 1 1/2" The vent is 1 1/4" I am 99.9%sure.

Mike NJ

Old 03-03-11, 05:19 PM
L
lawrosa,

Could be that too. Can't tell for sure from the pic, and since we aren't there to actually LOOK at it...

HomeAlterations, the ball's in your court. Tell us what size pipes you're dealing with.

Old 05-08-11, 10:49 PM
S
A Similar Situation

We have a similar situation, and I want to be sure that I understand the above comments.
We have an existing washing machine drain, and want to add a utility sink next to the washer.
So, can I cut the washer standpipe, add a tee or wye and a p-trap, and attach the sink drain to the trap?
How long can the horizontal drain line between the sink and the standpipe be? I thinking 2 or 3 feet, not 5 or 6
Thanks,

Old 05-08-11, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Make the stand pipe the drain for the laundry sink, and drain the washer into the sink.

Mike NJ

Old 05-09-11, 07:50 AM
L
slowillie,

If you cut a wye or a tee into the standpipe, DO NOT add a "P-trap" under the laundry tub. The existing trap under the standpipe serves as the trap for the tub as well. What you are suggesting double traps the drain of the tub. Not legal.

Old 05-09-11, 11:34 AM
S
Thanks. Of course, a trap is already there. I like to think that I would have thought about that when actually doing the work. But, now I know to look for it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: