Necessary to use vapor barrier plastic sheeting around shower?

Old 03-16-11, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Necessary to use vapor barrier plastic sheeting around shower?

I'm building a shower stall in my basement bathroom. Actually, adding a shower stall, it used to be a powder room. Anyhow, I have re-framed all the walls and I'm curious if it's necessary to apply plastic sheeting over the walls prior to sheetrock or cement board?

I've seen this done in "holmes on homes" but then again, while I admire mike's anal ways, he does tend to overkill projects a bit.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-11, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Its absolutely necessary if you plan on tiling...and a good idea even if you are using a shower surround. You need to decide what you plan for best guidance.

Old 03-16-11, 12:25 PM
I'm building a shower stall so it will be hardibacker or cement board wall and I am tiling the entire stall. rest of the bathroom will be sheetrock.

Can you tell me why it is so important? I have a need to understand everything in detail. It's just my personality.

Also, do I staple the plastic sheeting only in the shower or all over the bathroom? Any particular thickness I need to get?

thanks!

Old 03-16-11, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Backerboard is not waterproof, nor is grout. Water won't hurt them..but it will wick through to the wood and wall areas behind, causing mold and rot.

Don't know all the details of the attachment. Seems like 6 mil is minimum, 12 mil is better if you can get it (don't hold me to that). Just the shower (wet area) needs to be encapsulated, good bath paint will prevent moisture migrating though the sheetrock in the "damp only" areas.

Old 03-16-11, 01:30 PM
roger that. thank you for your help!