Proper mortar for tile shower mortar bed

Old 03-18-11, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Proper mortar for tile shower mortar bed

I'm building a tile shower and I'm now ready to make the bottom mortar bed, the one which I will put my vinyl liner on top of.

My common sense told me to grab something with the words "mortar bed" on it. so I ended up with a bag of "rapidset" brand mortar.

Then I second guessed myself and asked the contractor services desk at home depot, and they told me to use "sakrete" brand "construction grout".

As always, I am back here for my final answer (the one I will accept) .

so, what type of mortar? and do I use the same stuff for the bed ABOVE the vinyl liner?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-11, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Ack! I usually defend associates at Big Box stores.....but thats just not right.

IIRC You use a "sand mix" with a latex additive. You also should put a slipsheet of some sort between the wood/concrete and the mix. Tarpaper would work.

Ahh...here's a link with pictures that I think is pretty complete and lines up with what I've seen in the past. Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb. Remember...theres more than one "correct" way to do some things.

Old 03-18-11, 11:45 AM
First off, as always, thank you.

Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
IIRC You use a "sand mix" with a latex additive.
Can you give me a brand and product or something? or do you mean, a bag of sand and a bag of portland?

You also should put a slipsheet of some sort between the wood/concrete and the mix. Tarpaper would work.
I have seen this done. what's it's purpose?

oh, and while I am at it, I have another question I just though of. due to the lousy concrete floor pouring job that was done (wonder who did that??? ) the shower concrete floor is not totally flat. it's a 32"x32" but two of the corners are a bit lower and not very smooth/flat. Should I just take some "sand mix" and level that off FIRST, then continue with the tar paper, and the rest of the job?

Old 03-18-11, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Well...I've only done a couple...but I've been here A LOT...lol.

There should be something at your local store labeled "sand mix"...or "sand topping mix" or similar. Pretty sure they are the same..QUIKRETEŽ - Sand/Topping Mix

The tar paper or similar "disconnects" the mortar bed (a misnomer actually...tho I think the experts actually may have used mortar in the past?) from whats underneath and prevents moisture from being sucked out...as I understand.

I wouldn't worry about the corners, pressing the mix in will take care of it.

Pro's will be checking in, might wanna wait...I know you aren't working as we talk...lol.

Old 03-18-11, 12:16 PM
LOL no I am at work. I will be working on it tomorrow morning. thanks for the link. hey, that product seems just like the one I bought though. although, I will return this one and get the one you listed just to be safe. check it out.

Mortar Mix - Rapid Strength Gain, High Durability, Low Shrinkage Mortar Mix Concrete Repair Material

Old 03-18-11, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Ack again...not even close to the same thing. You don't WANT a rapid setup. Sand mix is almost dry when it's placed and has a pretty long work time.