Help with Clawfoot tub supply lines needed.

Old 03-30-11, 07:19 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with Clawfoot tub supply lines needed.

A couple of weeks ago I installed a new clawfoot tub in my daughter's house.

The installation went smoothly and everything seemed fine

UNTIL

the supply line for the hot water separated at floor level, causing a minor flood. I re-attached it, tightened it firmly and it has been fine since.

BUT

the same thiong happened with the cold water supply line last night.

I can't see what the problem is, and how the chrome pipe from the tub can even separate from the connector. The pipe is seated all the way in the fitting from the floor, but somehow gets blown upward, leaving the nut and cone washer connected???

I'd really like to solve this once and for all and not have to worry about what would result if no-one was home when this happens again...

HELP!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-11, 07:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Is this a compression fitting? Is the nut tight against the pipe? Is there a compression ring inside the fitting? Why is the pipe offset from the tube? Are you having to pull up on the copper supply pipe to connect it to the tube? It looks short for the application.

Old 03-30-11, 12:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
I like to use flexible braided stainless steel tubing to connect claw foot tubs. It does not looks as pretty as the rigid lines but it does allow for slight movement without straining the fittings at the ends.

When the tub is empty get inside and walk around and shift your weight to see if you can get the tub to rock or move. You may have to shim one of the feet. Any movement could pull a rigid fitting apart, especially if it's not fully tightened down.

Old 03-30-11, 02:23 PM
I have to agree with Chandler, something dosen't look right about the fitting and pipe, wish the picture showed more of the pipe

Old 04-03-11, 10:28 PM
L
Pilot Dane,
I am having a similar issue with my repro. clawfoot tub faucet set up as TomLusk (mine appear to come loose at our vacation home due partly to large temperature fluctuations), and have decided to replace the rigid supply risers with SS flex as you recommend. My issue is that the inlet connection to the faucet is a 1" male thread, and the flex supply lines seem to go only to 3/4" diameter with the speciality types. The attachment at the supply valve is a standard 3/4" size.

Am I looking for flex in the wrong places, or am I going to need to find a reducing bushing or some other kind of fitting (like an ell) that would accommodate the flex supply line and still connect to my large faucet inlet?

Thanks!

Old 04-21-11, 08:51 AM
D
In your picture it appears you just have the rubber cone under the nut.
That works fine on the other end of the pipe going to the faucet. On that side of the pipe there is a flanged out portion. That is larger than the opening of the nut so it can not blow apart.

Use a compression fitting. Once you snug it up the ferrule ring and pipe will squish together. So now the nut can't slide over the ring and pop apart.

They will have shut off valves that match everything else.
Good idea to have the shut off handy just in case.