How to remove the stuck faucet/tap cover?

Old 04-18-11, 09:31 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to remove the stuck faucet/tap cover?

I've been fixing leaking faucets in a bathroom. There are total six faucets in a bathroom, two made into a bathroom basin, two made into the wall in the shower tube and the last two are on the wall on top of the mop sink.

I have fixed the leaks with basin's faucets but was unable to do it with other four faucets because have failed to remove the faucet covers (see on the photos).

They seems to be stuck. To get a better grip I wrapped some duct tape around the chrome covers and then used
the spanner - but to no avail. Tried the strap wrench - no luck too.

I thought it could be the silifon sealant that glued the covers to the wall - but after I have removed most of the sealant
(used the sealant remover to soften the sealant and then putty knife) it has not not changed the situation at all as the cover is still stubbornly refuses to any unscrew attempts.

Any ideas how can I get these covers off? Can you recomend some special tools, I was thinking about a type of a pipe wrench for cone shaped pipe (as the cover is shaped as a cone)?

Would really appreciate any help!
Thank you for your time.

Old 04-18-11, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
I would try a small rubber strap oil filter wrench. Did you get the handles off?

What brand is the faucet?

modernvespa.com

Mike NJ

Old 04-18-11, 09:46 AM
i dont think silicone would be that stubborn.

Can you heat the piece with a torch without burning it? thats a trick i always use. heat it up really good, give a few taps then try to break it free.

Old 04-18-11, 10:49 AM
L
It may be that the trim covers are THREADED on, depending on the mfgr. Once you have the handles off, try turning them CCW and see if they come off.

Old 04-19-11, 07:02 AM
T
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
It may be that the trim covers are THREADED on, depending on the mfgr. Once you have the handles off, try turning them CCW and see if they come off.
Yes, they are threaded. Below are the photos from the faucet that I was able to took apart, but I was only able to take apart two faucets out of six, for the four faucets I haven't been able to removed the trim covers even after I have removed the handles:

Any ideas how can I break that "bolt & nut" bond - I guess this is what holding the trim cover so tightly, so I could not turn them at all.

Thank you!

Old 04-19-11, 07:08 AM
T
Originally Posted by tevil View Post
i dont think silicone would be that stubborn.

Can you heat the piece with a torch without burning it? thats a trick i always use. heat it up really good, give a few taps then try to break it free.
Can you explain it in a bit more details please.

Are you suggesting to take the handles off first and then heat up the steam itself? Because I think if I try heat up the cover - the chrome coating will just peel off...

Thank you!

Old 04-19-11, 07:13 AM
T
Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
I would try a small rubber strap oil filter wrench. Did you get the handles off?

What brand is the faucet?

modernvespa.com

Mike NJ
Well, I have exactly the same strap wrench and I tried it - but the cover didn't turn even a bit. What I also noticed with a strap wrench - it didn't seem to provide a good grip on a surface like that ... could that be that a strap wrench rubber band just does not work well on a chrome surfaces?

Thank you Mike!

Old 04-19-11, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Is it possible there is a set screw on the bottom of the escutcheon?

Just a though but it look like it should unscrew.

Mike NJ

Old 11-11-13, 08:21 AM
J
Its been a couple of years. Any resolution to this? I am running into the same issue with my kitchen faucet. It has three screw-on covers (two handles and the spout). I'm able to get the handle covers off fine. The spout cover is stuck and since the cover is tapered from the bottom, getting an oil filter wrench to take hold is a problem.

Thanks!

Old 03-18-14, 09:17 AM
P
Yeah, I've just done it.

1. Damp toweling cloth around tap cover
2. Mole grips set to just close around the cover without the cloth
3. Clamp the mole grips onto the cover around the cloth.
4. Turn
5.If it won't turn, tighten the molegrips a fraction
6. Try again

NOTE
I did leave a tiny little mark in the chrome, so maybe don't do this on expensive taps or those belonging to other people.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: