PVC to PVC in-line repair -- fixed piping -- coupling question

Old 04-18-11, 12:21 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PVC to PVC in-line repair -- fixed piping -- coupling question

Hello....I'm in the process of a bathroom upgrade, and want to raise the height of my sink vent-waste "T's" so that they are not visible under the vanity (the vanities are 4 legged, open on the bottom style).

The walls are open behind the existing plumbing. I'll need some type of coupling to complete this task, but since this is an in-line fix with little-to-no give in the existing dwv piping, I'm not sure what type of coupling will allow me to get everything cemented back together.

Can someone give me some guidance as to what type of generally-available couplings I could use to ensure a leak-proof seal that would also make code.
Thank you...Trish in NH

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-11, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Hi Trish in NH. Welcome.

What you need to use to couple two pipe together, where you have limited pipe movement, is a slip coupling or a no hub.

A slip coupling allows you to glue the pipes together. Use lots of primer and glue and slide the coupling over and past the top of the pipe. Then align both pipes and slide the coupling evenly over each side of pipe. This can be trickey if you never done it before.

Another item is a no hub fitting. This is a rubber coupling with a metal band around it with two pipe clamps. You need to make sure you get the type that has a tab inside that stops each end of the pipe when you slip it on. The trick to using these with limited pipe movement is the ability to roll one end of the no hub over the pipe. Then meet the two pipes and roll the no hub back. Slide the band up and tighten.

Here is a no hub. Notice the tab in the center of the largest no hub.

Hope this helps.

Mike NJ

Old 04-18-11, 04:23 PM
T
Thanks, Mike.
I'll see if I can find these "no hubs" at the local HD or Lowes. If not, I'll try my hand at the slip/slip coupling. I've read that these can be tricky...so I'll make a few practice runs before I add the cement. Wish me luck...

Appreciate the fast reply...
Regards,
Trish in NH

Old 04-18-11, 08:50 PM
L
The 2 big boxes have plenty of the 'no-hub' couplings that Lawrosa pictured. Just make sure that you get the ones with the SS bands around the outside, as pictured.

Old 04-19-11, 05:33 AM
T
Thanks Lefty. Went on line and my local HD has these in stock. While I was looking I stumbled on a PVC Compression Coupling, Sch. 40--I believe these are also called dresser couplings. This fitting would be ideal for what I'm trying to do, which is to raise the height of my DWV "T" by about 3 inches. The coupling itself could bridge the extra length I need.

These are Sch. 40 fittings, but I can only find references to them being used in cold water applications (irrigation). Can this be used in a lav sink DWV?
Thanks again.

Old 04-19-11, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
I dont think they are allowed for waste and would advise against it.

Mike NJ

Old 04-19-11, 05:29 PM
...which is to raise the height of my DWV "T" by about 3 inches...

If you are raising the tee that the trap ties into you better be careful; you could raise it to where the hook-up wont work

Old 04-19-11, 06:29 PM
T
Hi Shacko--
If I' raise the T by 3 inches, and my vanity height by 3 inches, my hookup should be the same....right? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something. Thank you.