"Mansfield" brand toilet hard to push flush handle

Old 04-29-11, 11:22 AM
"Mansfield" brand toilet hard to push flush handle

We've noticed lately that both toilets in our house have gotten a bit hard to push the flush handles. Thinking maybe the flappers were getting soft and sticky I pulled a tank lid to see which type of flapper we had and saw this strange looking stack thingy.

I actually really like the toilets but when I looked at the store I didn't see any small replaceable parts, just the entire stack for $10.00.

As I didn't feel like pulling the tank to replace a flapper I decided to live with it for a little longer and post here.

Anyone have experience with these? As I said, we really like the toilets otherwise and they do a great job of flushing (1.5 gpf) stuff down.

Thanks in advance.

Stewie

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-11, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
If they are not leaking its fine.

The typical replacement is the seal. You do not need to remove the tank. The top unscrews(where the hose goes in) and you pull the tower off. Replace seal and put tower back on. Re-screw top. Also if you have apart clean the shaft of calcium. It should slide up and down easy.

The handle goes through the slot and should move freely.

Most of the repairs are the handles because they are plastic. If they get a small crack they cant lift the tower completely or is difficult. You need a mansfiel handle.

I would say 90% chance its the handle.

PlumbingSupply.com - parts for Mansfield flush valve

Mike NJ

Old 04-29-11, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
If it's what I think...they have a rubber gasket that can be replaced on the "stack thing". If you turn off the water, unscrew the part that holds the rubber hose (that fits into the stack), the top will slide up and off. The toilet will flush when you do..thats why I said turn off the water. There should be a red or black gasket that will pull off...your fingers will get all black when you touch it, so either wear a glove or be prepared to scrub.

There are 2 or 3 different sizes I believe...so put it in a sandwich bag and take it with you to the store. It will be in the small plumbing parts section. Used to be I could only get mine at Lowes or a good hardware store..HD didn't have them...they might now. Buy 3 or 4 cause sometimes they get all warped and don't seal well.

Clean the groove it fits in and the surface it seals against with a blue scrubby sponge and you should be good to go.

Also, check your water level in the tank...should be right at the fill line..no higher.

Old 04-30-11, 03:05 PM
gunguy and lawrosa,

thanks for the advice. My local HD had them and I replaced the one a little earlier today. Works like a charm now and even my wife is smiling.

I can see how continuing to flush with it taking that much effort could crack the handle/arm though

stewieG

Old 04-30-11, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
Ahh...but please tell us what you replaced.....????

Old 04-30-11, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
can see how continuing to flush with it taking that much effort could crack the handle/arm though

Sounds like he replaced the handle.

Mike NJ

Old 04-30-11, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
And I was thinking he replaced the gasket...lol!

Please stewie...please come back....