Shower Valve Question

Old 05-03-11, 03:52 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Shower Valve Question

I am installing a new tub/shower and i was wondering when i solder the shower valve do I put thread tape on the copper fitting that screws in to the shower valve. Or will it melt do to the heat of the map gas torch. thanks

Old 05-03-11, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I have soldered right at the male adapters before. You need to remove the cartridge when you solder. The thing I do is have a spray bottle of water and as soon as you solder spray the valve with the water to cool it quickly.

The other way is to solder a short piece of copper to all the adapters then screw them in. Use couplings to connect each leg. But this allows you to wrap a wet cloth around the male adapter. It keeps it cool as you are soldering the coupling. Cool the whole valve before ypu start the next joint.

The other way is to get unions for each leg.

The other way is just get a sweat diverter. Most manufacturers sell both styles.

Mike NJ

Old 05-03-11, 12:04 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
But do i use thread tape on the male adapter while soldering if i have it attached to the body of the valve

Old 05-03-11, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I did use tape on the last one I installed...but I used 4" stubs of pipe soldered to the male fitting first as Mike mentioned. Normally the supplys come in the top or bottom so you'll need to convert from vertical to horizontal anyway.

Old 05-03-11, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
But do i use thread tape on the male adapter while soldering
Use minimal tape and teflon paste on top of the tape. Tape in a clockwise motion with threads pointing right.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: