Replacing toilet - with what? Confusing info...

Old 05-04-11, 06:03 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing toilet - with what? Confusing info...

We bought a fancy, one-piece Kohler about 12yrs ago.. a new low volume type. The people who came up with the rules must have all had the runs because it was better to crap in the woods that try and use this Kohler with a manly-sized _____. Luckily, I had an old style upstairs, so I was banished to using it, because there were times 5-6 flushes would not get the Kohler to do its part.

When I go to Lowes, it seems that every toilet they sell gets a '5 Star' flush rating .. when I go to Home Depot there are no 'Stars' ...another rating system which seems more honest, at least not every toilet is 'The Best' flusher. Why different ratings?!

So I called Kohler and asked if there have been any improvements to this one-piece, the Rialto. Answer was; "No." ...as someone who lives-and-dies by what I products my little company makes, I was a little surprised. (I gather I am not the only one who holds this opinion of this model toilet.)

Anyway .. I need a replacement; my wife wants a one-piece but I need something good this time, no more Kohler. Have you put in a brand recently that you like. I don't care if it's made in Wisconsin or Crapistan, I want something that actually flushes when you crank the handle. Thanks.

Jim

Old 05-04-11, 06:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Jim. Speaking from experience and it will be confirmed, I feel certain, spending money on a one piece may not get the end result you want. Install an American Standard Champion 4 elongated toilet. Comes complete with wax ring, bolt kits, lid, everything for a seamless installation. Cost about $243 at big orange. It will handle it.
Oh, it's ADA compliant at 17" height. Really nice.

Old 05-04-11, 06:37 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My preference is the ADA height Toto Drake: four years ago after using these in my own house I swapped out the assorted other toilets at my rental units with Drakes; previous to doing this I was plunging or rodding toilets regularly, since I've installed the Totos I've only had to plunge one toilet. Once. (Cat litter).

It's possible that other brands have improved to equal or better performance in the four years since I started buying only Toto's, but if so price really ought to be your only consideration as the Toto's just don't clog in anything resembling normal use.

The only downside I've found is that the flappers are nonstandard size and the pivot holes (at least on the older flappers I have) fail occasionally - my response has just been to stock a few extras as I find this much less aggravating than my previous experience with constant clogging of other brands.

I've always ordered the Drakes off the net as the price including shipping is better than from local suppliers, and I've never had one damaged in shipping.

Old 05-04-11, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
I second what Chandler says. I have seen and installed them all. I am a plumber and I have the Champion 4 toilets with comfort height. I cant clogg them, kids cant clogg them, wife....... well lets not go there....LOL (Just kidding honey!!!!)

Anyway they make three Champion 4 in one piece.

American Standard - Search Results

Mike NJ

Old 05-05-11, 07:19 AM
W
Chandler & Mike, My wife dictates what happens in 'her' bathroom - One Piece is the order of the day. We're redoing all the fixtures with Cal. Faucets and the same place sells Toto, so she got put onto that brand. As the resident cheapskate, at least I'll convince her to not pay retail ..and then have to drive 2hrs to Annapolis, @ $4gal., to pick it up.

God, I do not envy you guys who have also to be landlords - no way!

Thanks for the input. ...I may actually go to H.D. and replace the one upstairs too. We have nasty well water that stains everything ..and nothing gets it off. Cheers.

Jim

Old 05-05-11, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
The Champ 4 also has:

EverCleanŽ surface inhibits the growth of
stain- and odor-causing bacteria, mold,
and mildew on the surface.

Im on a well too. Cleans right up.

Mike NJ

Old 05-06-11, 07:40 AM
W
Mike, Thanks. Ya...there's a mineral deposit ring on this Kohler that appears as if it is also ceramic at this point. Those tourist cleaners you buy at the grocery store do nothing - the DIY stuff you get at Lowes or HD (Lime Away, etc) are pretty useless - and as I have an account with ZEP I got a couple of their commercial cleaners -after seeing a toilet at the airport repair shop going from looking like it was cast iron, last cleaned in WWII, to clean. The one that worked was Zep's VETO. ..but that airport toilet was 'rusty'. Veto did not touch this specific ring at home.

Surprise, my wife said; "If a 2pc was cheaper than the one-piece.." Woah! Off on the hunt. She still likes the Toto. ..probably 'cause it sounds like the dog in The Wizard of OZ. We have AS fixtures here at my business - they work, but they're the old 20gal-a-flush. Anyway, thanks all.

Jim

Old 05-06-11, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Have you tried using a pumice bar to clean the stain ring? I think PUMI is one brand. We have pretty hard municipal water and it works like a champ. I just use it maybe once a month or a bit more if its really windy and the ring shows up quicker.

Old 05-06-11, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
or a bit more if its really windy and the ring shows up quicker.
You got me there. I dont get it. "Windy?"

Mike NJ

Old 05-06-11, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
lol...wondered if anyone would ask....I posted a question about in a few years ago.
Anyway...when it gets real windy/gusty the water in my toilets bobs up and down slightly. That causes a mineral ring at the waterline. Mostly in spring and fall when we get a lot of gusty winds (40-50 mph even on clear days) and direction changes. And more in the one bath where the vent is closer to the peak of the roof.

We're surrounded by cliffs and hills and it can really whip up..then just die right back down. Couple of people in TX hill country reported the same kind of thing.

I put 1/2 of a trap on the vents so it points down and drilled some holes in the bend and that helped quite a bit. I could probably raise the vent a couple of feet, but that would look pretty goofy.

Old 07-22-11, 07:45 PM
C
I'm thinking about buying a new toilet. The AS Champion 4 appears to have an unusual flush valve. Is it adjustable? I read a few reviews which complained that you have to hold the lever down (rather than just trip it) to get a thorough flush with that valve system. Can anyone comment on that?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: