Toilet Tank Leak

Old 05-23-11, 01:23 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Toilet Tank Leak

My toilet tank is leaking at the top of the supply line under the tank. The nut doesn't move at all; it doesn't seem to be able to be tightened at all. The leak also stops when the water supply is cut off. What can I do to stop this leak?

Old 05-23-11, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
What type of supply? Braided or solid?

Your probably better off removing it, and getting a new supply. The fill valve may also turn getting it off, so drain the water out of the tank so you dont have a flood. Then retight the fill valve if you can. You may be better off getting a fill valve and flapper too. Basically rebuild most of the toilet. All the parts should be around 30-40 bucks. They sell complete kits. Fluidmaster at the home store are good IMO

How old is the toilet. If you been dying to get a new one because its ancient, now might be the time.

Mike NJ

Old 05-23-11, 05:35 PM
J
It's braided supply. The toilet is less than 10 years old and has never had any problems. It's not used all that often. So it could be just the inner workings are old and need replaced? Would I possibly be able to replace the supply line and the washer to the tank?

Thanks. I'm trying to save as much money as possible (unemployed right now) and appreciate the help.

Old 05-23-11, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Possibly its not leaking from the supply. It could be from the fill valve. There is a nut above the top of the supply nut. Snug that up. That compresses the fill valve seal thats in the tank.

Also it can be leaking from the tank to bowl gasket. Grab the tank and wiggle it. Does it move alot? You may need to just tighten the tank bolts if it is. It may have two or three nuts holding the tank on. Just snug them up. Not too tight!!! You dont want to crack the tank.

I would say wipe it all down with a rag, and get a bright flashlight. It may only leak when you flush if its the tank.

Let us know what you find.

Mike NJ

Old 05-23-11, 06:57 PM
J
Thanks. I know it's leaking constantly unless the water is turned off, but it speeds up when the toilet is flushed. I will try your suggestions and let you know.

Thanks so much for your help.

Jessica

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: