install of closet flange

Old 07-09-11, 02:28 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
install of closet flange

Okay, in process of installing new toilet. When removed 33 yr old toilet found broken cast iron closet flange leaded to 4" cast iron pipe and not fixed to floor at all. I removed closet flange and cleaned off pipe. I now need a new flange. I see several that you push down inside the pipe and then screw to the floor. Will that work fine? Should I use a PVC or cast iron flange? They both have a rubber type gasket around that should help to connect the two. Do I need to use any type of glue or lubricant? Finally, this bathroom is in the basement so I would be securing flange to cement floor - best way to do that and how to make sure flange is in right position to line up with bolts on toilet? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-11, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
...I see several that you push down inside the pipe and then screw to the floor. Will that work fine?...

That should be fine if you are using it in a 4in pipe, it dosen't matter if you use the iron or plastic.

...Do I need to use any type of glue or lubricant?...

It might be easier to use some petroleum jelly to help it slide in.

... Finally, this bathroom is in the basement so I would be securing flange to cement floor - best way to do that and how to make sure flange is in right position to line up with bolts on toilet? Thanks....

To secure the flange you can use Tapcons or lead anchors, to line up the flange slots make sure they measure the same comming off the wall, do not measure from the baseboard if you have some. A standard toilet measurment is 12in from the wall to the center of bolt holes