Slow toilet leak

Old 07-20-11, 09:25 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Slow toilet leak

A few months ago, I began noticing that one of my toilets would cycle on periodically. I've been watching it more closely this week, and when the tank fills, it takes about 10-15 minutes for the level in the tank to slowly drop about an inch, then the fill valve cycles back on and raises the level in the tank back up. The cycle repeats every 10-15 minutes. I figured the flapper was leaking, so I tried replacing it with a couple of extras I had laying around. That didn't work. Today I replaced it with a brand new flapper. That didn't work. Can anyone suggest what I should try next? I don't know how old this toilet is since I've only been in the house 2 years. I can post photos if that would help. I don't see a brand or a model, but the initials "SA" are stamped into the inside of the tank.

Old 07-20-11, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Sure take a pic. It helps.

I find original flappers work best and or the korkys, but it depends on type of toilet.

Take pic inside and out of toilet.

Mike NJ

Old 07-21-11, 09:10 AM
S
Whenever I work on a leaky toilet I always replace both the flapper and the flush valve. Since people are paying me to come and fix the problem I cannot afford to have a callback.

A cheater method of fixing the flush valve is to take some fine sandcloth and smooth the flush valve seat chances are you have buildup on it or you have used drop in tank cleaners which have left it in less than ideal seating condition

Old 07-21-11, 07:36 PM
C
I took some photos. You can see them here:
toilet pictures by bigcapper - Photobucket

Also, I found some identifying markings stamped inside the tank lid. The date is 4-25-1990, and there are two other identifiers:
BII 4930
S-506

Since this toilet is apparently 21 years old, should I just go ahead and replace it rather than fool with trying to solve the slow leak?

Old 07-21-11, 11:11 PM
F
rebuild it....

The flush valve could have a crack at the seam or somewhere. I'd replace it with a Fluidmaster. I would also replace the fill valve whereas it looks like your water is high in iron. I prefer a Korky fill valve myself. Fluidmaster fill valve floats hang up in high mineral water. You will need a new tank bolt kit with washer when you pull the tank to replace the flush valve. If you rebuild it that way, it will be in good shape for a least 5 years or more.

Old 07-22-11, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
You can rebuild or replace its up to you. If it still flushes well and no calcium build up rebuild it.

This kit.

Fluidmaster Complete Toilet Repair Kit - 400AKRP10 at The Home Depot

I see a small crack in the flush valve and what looks like dirt or a nick where the flapper sits on the rim of the fluch valve. Hmm who knows. Best to replace all.

If replaceing the whole toilet look at the champion 4 by american standard. IMO they are superior.

That toilet looks like a Gerber.....

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: