Installation of toilet flange over tile or on subfloor?

Old 07-26-11, 07:56 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installation of toilet flange over tile or on subfloor?

I'm redoing a 1st floor bathroom. Previous flooring was linoleum on luan on 3/4 subfloor. I've torn everything out down to subfloor. At some point, there was a leak, because the subfloor was rotten for like a 1ft arc around the sewer line.
I've cut out and replaced the subfloor, but in order to do that, I cut the sewer line out as well. So I'm basically starting for complete scratch.

Now, on to the question. I'm putting tile down, over Ditra, over the subfloor. Should I mount the toilet flange to the subfloor and use a tall wax seal? Or can/should I mount the toilet flange to the tile, and use a standard wax seal? I'm nervous about the tall wax seal, to me its just asking for problems, but installing the flange on top of the tile is more involved.

If I mount on top of the tile, I'll lay down the ditra and tile, then rebuild my sewer line to come up through the hole, mark/drill my flange mount holes, caulk and glue in place the flange, then throw some long mounting bolts in to hit the subfloor. Install the J-bolts and wax seal, and mount the toilet. At least, that's what I have worked out in my head.

I need to drill the tile anyway, because I'm installing a pedestal sink, so I'll have a bit to drill those mount holes.

I just read another thread here about someone doing something similar, but figured I'd ask my question in case its different enough. Anyone with thoughts/suggestions? Is it proper to mount the flange on top of the tile? Problems associated with that approach? Or should I just remount the flange to the subfloor? Thanks.

Old 07-26-11, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Or can/should I mount the toilet flange to the tile, and use a standard wax seal?
Yes absolutley mount to the tile if at all feasable. You will have a better finished install of the toilet.

Now here is a tip.

In new construction we would rough in the pumbing right to the sub floor. But we knew tile was going down. What we would do is find out the total height and use cut copper pipe to raise the flange.

So say the tile was going to be 3/4" above the sub floor. I would get 1/2" copper pipe and cut four 3/4" pieces. I would then slip them under the toilet flange and line the pices up with the four holes and screw through the flange, copper pipe, and into the floor.

Then when the tile guy came in he would just tile around the raised flange.

Hope this helps.

Mike NJ

Old 07-26-11, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Excellent tip on the use of the pipe Mike! No way for it to slip out or shift...and better/cheaper than a bunch of SS washers.

Old 07-26-11, 09:29 AM
W
Mike,

Thanks for the tip.
However, do I need to do that? Or can I tile right up to the rough opening (3" or whatever), drill holes through the tile, and bolt the flange through the tile to subfloor?
My guess is you'll say yes, and the reason you did it the way you suggested, is because you had to have the flange installed before the tile guy came in?

Old 07-26-11, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Yes you can do it as you describe. Its alittle bigger then 3". The flange has a bevel as part of the pvc. If you had a exact 3" hole the flange will not sit flush.

But in all reality the metal part of the flange should sit ontop of the finished floor.

Mike NJ

Old 07-26-11, 10:02 AM
W
Thanks Mike.
Much appreciate the help and suggestions.

Old 07-26-11, 12:10 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
Yes you can do it as you describe. Its alittle bigger then 3". The flange has a bevel as part of the pvc. If you had a exact 3" hole the flange will not sit flush.But in all reality the metal part of the flange should sit ontop of the finished floor.
Mike NJ
A lesson some of us learned the hard way. :0(

Old 07-26-11, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
Thats how I learned my lesson 25 yrs ago. Drilled a perfet 3" hole in the plywood, and tiled right to the hole. It looked beautiful. A work of art. Then I tried to set the flange....Ugggg....

Chip away the tile. Chip away the thinset. Get the sawzall out and try to make the hole bigger...etc.

Thank god the toilet covered that mess..LOL

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: