Leaking tub faucet

Old 09-01-11, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking tub faucet

Is it possible to still have a leaking faucet with the main water valve turned off? My tub has three knobs, left=hot, center=shower or tub, right=cold. It continually drips no matter how tight I turn both water knobs to the off position. Even after turning water valve off to the house, it still dripped. How do you find out which faucet needs repair or do you do both to be on the safe side? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first tub faucet repair adventure....

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-11, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
Hi,

The water may be from the shower. After you turn the water off hot and cold, open the center handle half way. This will allow the excess water drain out of the shower arm pipe.

Yes you should rebuild all three handles.

As a plumber I can tell you its not that friendly. You need to replace the seats also.

The trouble is usually with the replacements. The packings often leak. And when you tighten them its impossible to turn the handles. So you need to tighten, loosen, tighten, loose...Until the handles are easy to move and know more leaks.

Mike NJ

Old 09-02-11, 10:37 AM
leaking tub faucet

MikeNJ,

Thanks for the input! I have tried turning the center knob to the half way position after turning off the water faucets, and then turning it left and right bleeding out what water seems to stay in the pipe...leaving it turned half way, etc., but that still didn't stop the dripping. I'm not sure if I understand part of your answer:

The trouble is usually with the replacements. The packings often leak. And when you tighten them its impossible to turn the handles.

What exactly are the "packings"?

Old 09-02-11, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
The packing is where the stem enters the body. Is this a washer and seat type faucet or a cartridge type.

Name brand? Pics?

Mike NJ

Old 09-02-11, 11:37 AM
leaking tub faucet

MikeNJ,

My apologies for being so unprepared with enough information. I will tackle removing one of the faucets some time in the next week or so to see if I can take a photo of it, I'm thinking it may be a "cartridge" type since I saw no washers the one time that I did remove the handle, thinking it would look like my kitchen faucets that I replaced (it didn't). It had a 1-2 inch extension that went into the pipe once the handle was removed, (if that makes any sense). I couldn't remove the extension. I will also get the brand name since my memory fails me. This is a very old fixture, at least 20-25 yrs old. Thank you for your time.

Linda

Old 09-02-11, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
Plastic extension? Could be delta.

If you take a pic I could probably tell by that without you taking apart.

Post pics to a free site like photobucket then post the link here.

Mike NJ

Old 09-02-11, 12:34 PM
Mike,

No, metal, brass looking. I'll try to get that photo asap, thank you again. Have a great weekend.

Linda