Water level in bowl too low

Old 09-07-11, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water level in bowl too low

Hi, hope you can help us figure this out. When we remodeled our bathroom last fall, we bought a new toilet, & of course it's the 'water saver' kind. It worked great until this summer when it kept running after you flushed. The little float would stick, and you'd have to open the tank and give it a push. So, we said that's a quick fix, just buy a new one, which we did. But now when we flush it the water in the bowl will go down to the very bottom, unless you hold the flapper up when you flush, and 'count to 3', if you know what I mean. The flapper goes down really fast, so the bowl doesn't fill up. I do not want to have to tell my guests, hold the flush handle down and count to 3 every time they want to use the guest bath. Someone told us we need a weight on the back of the flapper to keep it from going down so fast, but we couldn't find anything like that at the big box store. Also, the flapper is the big one (3" I think). Help, we are having company this weekend and need to figure this out.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-11, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Make sure the little hose in the tank (off the top of the fill valve) is installed correctly and spraying down the overflow tube. Thats what really fills up the bowl after a flush.

Old 09-07-11, 03:40 PM
OK, that hose was kinked, and I fixed that so it seems to be much better. But that pipe (overflow tube?) that comes up in the middle is so short that the tank only fills up halfway. I guess that's part of the water saver toilet philosophy, and I think that keeps the water level lower, or does that not affect the water in the bowl?

Old 09-07-11, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
Hi,

From what I got out of your story you replaced a flapper in the toilet and need to hold the handle or the flapper closes too fast.

All toilets are different and universal flappers do not always work. To get the water saving abilitys some flappers has a float, some have a plastic nozzle built into the flapper to let air out at a certain rate. These devices with the proper water level denote when the flapper closes.

Whay brand toilet and model?

Did you replace with a OEM flapper?

You need to put the original type/style flapper back in.

The water level in most all toilets should have the water level just below the overflow tube.

The hose that goes in that tube should be clipped to the top, and not just stuck down in there. Water will siphon from the tank if the hose is left long.

Mike NJ

Old 09-07-11, 04:58 PM
No, we did not change the flapper, just the tube that goes up and down to cause the water to shut off. The problem, (now that we know the tube in the middle pipe is what controls the water level in the bowl) is that the tank fills up too fast, and shuts off the water before the water coming out of the tube fills the bowl to a high enough level. The middle pipe (the overflow pipe?) is at least 6" below the top of the tank, so the tank fills up real fast, and then the water stops filling the bowl. If we hold the flapper up, and give it a few more seconds to allow water to go into the bowl, we get plenty of water in the bowl. But if we have company they do not know to hold the handle down (and therefore the flapper up) to allow more water to go into the tank.

Old 09-07-11, 05:21 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
The tank does fill though, right? To about an inch below the overflow?

What happens if you close the toilet valve where it comes out the wall some to slow down the fill time? Will the bowl fill fuller?

Old 09-08-11, 06:52 PM
You know, I think that has fixed it! Takes it longer to fill after flushing, but it gets the water up where it needs to be. Thanks so much!!