Choice of two drains to use for bathroom vanity

Old 09-19-11, 02:47 AM
Choice of two drains to use for bathroom vanity

I have installed a new vanity in my basement bathroom. There are two drains I can use. The first is directly behind the wall at the back of the vanity but it is being used by the bar sink around the corner. The second drain requires that I cut a hole in the right side of the vanity and run a 1 1/2" pipe to the P-trap and behind the vanity drawers. Both of these drains are vented, I presume up through the roof. My question is: can I use the drain that is being used by the bar sink or does each sink need to be on it's own drain?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-11, 04:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Where is the ptrap on the one going to the bar sink? If you use the one behind the drawers, bring your ptrap out into the drain area and use a straight pipe and an elbow to take the waste into the arm. That will give you a little more clearance behind the drawers.

Old 09-19-11, 05:04 AM
Chandler,
Thanks for the reply. Not sure what you mean by your first question. Too bad we can't upload photos. I understand about the straight pipe and elbow. I have to position the Ptrap under the vanity so the straight pipe is as close to the rear of the cabinet so as not to impede with the drawers. My question is: Is it permissible to have two sinks draining into one waste pipe.

Old 09-19-11, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator
Is it permissible to have two sinks draining into one waste pipe.
Yes.

To post photos upload images to a free site like photobucket.com and post the link to those pics here.

Mike NJ

Old 09-19-11, 06:27 AM
Lawrosa,
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into posting some pix, although I don't remember posting to any onlines sites but my daughter has so she can help.

I guess the guy who originally plumbed the house when it was built put in two seperate waste pipes because they were more than 5 feet apart. But because I changed the location of the vanity and positioned it closer to the bar sink waste pipe I can use that one.

Old 09-19-11, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator
Hi,

Well to get an understanding of what you have, it sounds like the original owner had two sinks and they were space 5 ft apart? Such as a double vanity?

And you would like to use one of them but am not sure which one?

Use the one that is more conveinent for your aplication as long as its vented. cap the arm you are not using, or remove the ty in the wall altogether if the walls are open.

Possible pictures might tell a different story.

Mike NJ

Old 09-19-11, 07:17 AM
lawrosa,

This house was new contruction we had built. The basement was unfinished and I have been working on finishing it for about a year(only on weekends). I put some pix on Photobucket.
Pictures by canadaddy - Photobucket

Hope this link works.

Alex

Old 09-19-11, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Are you tieing into that cut out area under the sinl?

You need to tie a Y into that pipe where the cut out is. I dont think you can tie into the bar sink arm, unless the bar sink had its own vent.

So if you want to tie into the bar sink arm you would need to put a ty at the bar sink and vent it 3 ft above the flood plane of the sinks in the basement.

And as lonk as nothing dumps into that vent from the any other floor.

Mike NJ

Old 09-19-11, 09:02 AM
Lawrosa,

No, I am not tying into that exposed vent pipe under the bathroom vanity. That is the vent for the bar sink. As far as I know It goes straight up through the roof and nothing else empties into it. The same for the vent that is supposed to be for the vanity which is in the wall on the right side of the vanity. I can cut a hole into the wall at the back of the vanity and tie into the bar sink waste pipe that is the two foot section.

Alex

Old 09-19-11, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Possibly I am not understanding the pics.

This is the backside of what? I see a vent and a arm going to a bar sink?

That vent is the other side of this correct? Which is a vanity?

The bar sink you speak of is this kitchen sink?

And that kitchen sink bar sink is this arm here?

Mike NJ

Old 09-19-11, 10:19 AM
Correct. The first pic is the backside of the wall at the back of the vanity. I can cut a hole between the two water lines in this first pic for the vanity drain and put an elbow to go down to the bar pipe.

Old 09-19-11, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
OK, but you need to vent somewhere on that vent arm in pic #4 for the bar/kitchen sink if you do that.

Add a ty near the ell that goes into the wall in pic 4 and bring the vent up about 4 ft and tie it into the vent in pic #1.

Otherwise you would need to tie into the pipe in pic #2 below that fitting next to the outlet. That looks difficult so I see why you want to tie into the arm.

Mike NJ

Old 09-19-11, 11:20 AM
That sucks. I don't understand why I need to add another vent to the bar sink pipe where it comes out of the wall and tie it into the vent in pic 1 four feet up. Can you explain in layman's terms, please.

Old 09-19-11, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
Because when you use the vanity sink that you will drain into the bar sink arm, it will suck the water out of the bar sink trap and you will get sewer gas in your home from a dry trap.

Sewer gas can lead to sickness and even death.

Mike NJ

Old 09-19-11, 12:08 PM
AH, ok. I get it, I didn't know it would do that.

The other option is to tie into the drain that was originally meant for the vanity which means I would have to cut a hole in the right side of the vanity to access it. Problem is that pipe would come through the wall right in the middle of the second drawer down in the cabinet. One option would be to make it a false drawer and remove the metal guides that are in the way. Another option would be to try to lower the ty? of the vanity vent so the pipe can fit between the 2nd & 3rd drawers.

Old 09-19-11, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
I dont see that connection in any pic you descibe that is right of the vanity. That would be somewhere left of pic #1. I see nothing left of the electrical outlet.

We used to cut the drawer down, and make a kind of half drawer when we ran into those situations.

Mike NJ

Old 09-19-11, 02:17 PM
lawrosa,

I took some pix of the backside of the wall that is on the right side of the vanity. These show the other vent stack an the partial drain pipe install. I drilled two holes from the backside to see where they would enter in the vanity. The first where the pipe ends is about 8 inches from the back. The 2nd pilot hole is about 3 inches from the back. But they both would hit the metal guide bar of the drawer. To get under the metal guide bar I would have to drop the pipe about two inches. Then I don't think the drain pipe would have enough angle for the water to drain properly.

Basement Vanity Album 2 pictures by canadaddy - Photobucket

Old 09-19-11, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Hmmm. Yeah, If it were me, I would just vent the arm and tie in there. Its two ty's and 3 ells ansd about 6 ft of pipe. Simple....

I would just cap that arm in your new pics.

Not understanding all those vents. And you would need only one line in the slab also. But who knows what whoever did. Its kind of a mess but it works.

Those shark bite fittings look like they cost a small forture. I would watch them. In my experience they like to leak. Others love them and swear by them. I use them for temp repairs only, and/or if there is no other option.

Mike NJ

Old 09-19-11, 03:27 PM
NJT
I'm not overly enthusiastic about the outlet inside the vanity... I would probably remove that...

Isn't the pitch on those drains a bit 'agressive'? I don't think it's enough to do this, but Mike mentioned sucking a trap dry... sometimes too much pitch on the drains can do the same thing.

Old 09-19-11, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
I'm not overly enthusiastic about the outlet inside the vanity... I would probably remove that...
They actually put them there for things like recirc pumps, but need to be GFI protected I believe. That outlet is probably part of the original wall.

Permits would be the best thing in this whole renovation IMO.

Mike NJ

Old 09-19-11, 05:08 PM
Hey guys, thaks a lot for all your help. I realy appreciate the input.
A friend of mine helped me plumb the copper with those Shark Bites. He swears by them so I figured I'd give them a try. They've been in there for almost a year now and not a drip. If they start to give me trouble I'll pull the leakers and solder the joint. I've done soldering before. What's the worst that can happen flood the basement? Upstairs would be a different matter. I'm kind of a techie guy so thought I would give the technology a try. I like the fact they are made of brass and not plastic like some look alikes.

The outlet under the sink was put in by the builder, don't know why but I think it's tied into the GFI above the vanity and yes that is the original wall. And as I just found out the wall is bowed. So you can imagine how much I am cursing the builder.

Speakng of "pitch". I was just researching that. How much pitch do I need for a waste line that is only water like the bathroom vanity? How much pitch do I need for the bar sink that has a disposal & dishwasher?

Old 09-19-11, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator
Speakng of "pitch". I was just researching that. How much pitch do I need for a waste line that is only water like the bathroom vanity? How much pitch do I need for the bar sink that has a disposal & dishwasher?
Its all basically 1/4" per ft. At that pitch the pipe self cleans with the proper swirling motion as it travels down the pipe. Too much pitch and the flow sits at the bottom of the pipe and does not really swirl. Not enough pitch, and well, you probably know....

When you use a level those lines around the bubble are'nt just for decoration....LOL.
They indicate 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" etc, of pitch.

Mike NJ

Old 09-19-11, 06:13 PM
I've uploaded a diagram of how I think I should plumb that vent for the bar sink.

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/...y/scan0002.jpg

Old 09-19-11, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Yes.....................................

Old 09-19-11, 06:29 PM
Thanks. Does that grey beard signify anything?

Old 09-19-11, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator
No. Only 45 yrs old, not too much grey yet. The pic looks like my dad, and thats why I picked it. He past on a few yrs ago and it just reminds me of him. Plus I ride......

Mike NJ

Old 09-20-11, 12:01 AM
I kinda figured you were a rider by that icon. Nice to meet you and thanks for all your help. Are you a plumber by trade? I've been in the computer field since '64, so I'm an Old Fart.