Bathtub caulk cures then softens after a couple of showers

Old 09-21-11, 06:13 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathtub caulk cures then softens after a couple of showers

Hi there. Hoping some one can help me. I have caulked my sister's bathtub four times now and each time the same thing. It cures and then after a couple of showers it softens and becomes gooey. I have ruled out old/defective product as the rest of the caulking done from the same tube in the same bathroom is fine. The last time I did it I had a fan on the area (it was let go for some time) for several days and it appeared and felt dry in behind the tub surround. I also cleaned out ALL the old caulk as well as anything that was wet or goeey from behind and around the area. I used a dental tool. I was determind to NOT do this job again. I was confident that I had it licked and then again after a couple of showers the product turned to goo and in some areas actually split open which is a new thing. Is it possible that because the job was let go for so long that the drywall behind it is saturated or contaminated? Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should be doing to try to seal this area from further water damage? Thank you in advance. Carmen

Old 09-21-11, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
What is the name of the caulk you are using? I'm guessing you should switch to a different brand/type. If you are trying to caulk on top of gypsum (sheetrock) that is degraded, that certainly wouldn't help the caulking hold, since if the product it is sealed to can still get wet, it will probably not hold the caulking too well.

Old 09-21-11, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I have always use this for all my plumbing work. 20 + years.

Phenoseal Products

Mike NJ

Old 09-21-11, 07:29 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Is it possible that because the job was let go for so long that the drywall behind it is saturated or contaminated?
Yes, and it could take an incredibly long time to dry out again... just saying that it's possible, not that it is the problem.

Is it the joint between the wall tile and the tub you are sealing?

Are you sure the tile grout is in good condition and not letting water 'bleed' through and behind?

Old 09-22-11, 02:47 PM
M
Yes it is the joint between the tub and surround. The tub and surround are in excellent condition.

Old 09-22-11, 02:50 PM
M
Ok thanks. I have read good things about Phenoseal.

Old 09-22-11, 03:01 PM
M
DAP. I am trying to seal the area between the tub and surround. It is in good shape but as I said the caulk job was let go a long time and the area/drywall behind it got wet. I am at a total loss here but will try doing it again with Phenoseal and see what happens. If I can't get it cure I AM wondering if the drywall is just so wet back there. Do you know if drywall can get so wet as to not dry out???? Thanks. Carmen

Old 09-22-11, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Yes it is probably too wet and not allowing the caulk to dry.

Do you have another bath to use? May take a long time.

You can try the old plastic trick taped along the walls and in the tub to be sure it dont get wet. Possibly a month?????

Mike NJ

Last edited by lawrosa; 09-22-11 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 04:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
A hair dryer can be used to help dry it out behind the tile a little quicker. Don't expect to get it dry in a hurry.... and it needs to be dry and clean for the caulk to stay adhered.

Old 09-22-11, 04:09 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
And fold the plastic back when not using the shower so air still circulates... if you try the hair dryer trick don't get plastic tub surrounds too hot!

You could possibly also try a wet/dry shop vac to suck some moisture out, but be careful with that too!

Gypsum is kinda like a sponge...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: