Shower not getting hot water, but every other faucet is.

Old 10-13-11, 12:40 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower not getting hot water, but every other faucet is.

I live in a condo and my shower no longer has hot water. A new owner moved in a week ago, and over the last week it sounds like he has been making repairs in his master bath, which is right below mine.

My faucets are putting out hot water, though it seems to take a little longer now than before. My bath is right next to my shower, and the water in the tub there is piping hot. But I have absolutely no hot water anymore in my shower.

Before I go ask my neighbor what he has done to my pipes, I am asking everyone here if there could be something else. The water heater appears to be fine. I unscrewed the on off handle for the shower to make sure that looseness was not a problem.

I know nothing about plumbing, and i'm afraid to have someone rip up my shower, if the cause of this is bad home plumbing down below.

I've read about deposits possibly clogging the lines, and perhaps this could be what's happening in the shower. But I have no clue. Total newbie here!!
Any thoughts here?

Last edited by jeffyjoe44; 10-13-11 at 12:53 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-13-11, 12:50 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That's too much of a coincidence for it to be anything other than the neighbor's work. I would talk to him before anything else or call someone on the board.

Old 10-13-11, 12:52 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If you turn the water all the way hot in the shower do you get cold water or little to no water at all?

Old 10-13-11, 12:53 PM
J
Thank you Mitch for responsing. I get cold water. Water flow is the same regardless. This is a single handle faucet that turns on counterclockwise from the 6 position to the 1.

Old 10-13-11, 12:57 PM
J
Pulpo, That's what I think, but I'm wondering if it's the valve in the shower that distributes the cold/hot water. I just want to check my bases before I go be a bad new neighbor on this guy.

Old 10-13-11, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Hi,

In order for the neighbor to of done anything to your pipes the water to yours and their condo would of had to be turned off. Did this happen?

Do you have your own hot water heaters?

Also what brand faucet? It could be the balancer at the faucet itself but you would get a reduction in flow as Mitch17 stated.

Mike NJ

Old 10-13-11, 01:05 PM
J
Ok. My water has not been turned off to my knowledge. I do have my own water heater.

Faucet is not marked.

Old 10-13-11, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
So if you run hot water at the tub, then run your shower at the 1:00 position for all the way hot, you get no hot water but a full flow of cold?

When you took the handle off did you put it back on properly?

If the faucet starts at 6:00 it should turn to near the 9:00 position for hot. I would think you installed the scald protector on improperly. This device is behind the handle.

Mike NJ

Old 10-13-11, 01:37 PM
J
Lawrosa, thank you for the assistance. The shower knob points down, and you turn it counterclockwise to turn on. So mine goes as the handle points from the 6:00 to the 1:00 position. The knob only turns one way. All I did was unscrew the handle. Nothing else.

Yes, i can run hot water in tub, and run shower all the way and just get full flow cold.

Old 10-13-11, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
The handle should go farther then 1:00. Remove the handle. There is a stop behind there that needs adjusting.

If you take pics that may help.

Post pics to a free site like photo bucket.com the post the link to the pics back here.

If not explain what it looks like when you remove the handle.

Mike NJ

Old 10-13-11, 01:42 PM
J
It has always just turned on from 6 to 1 and I've had very hot showers for years.

I will take a couple of quick photos.

Old 10-13-11, 01:48 PM
J
Old 10-13-11, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Hmm.

Pull that black plastic piece out and that a pic. Cant make out the stops clearly.

I would say since you stated it always turned like that its probably the spool. But I would try to see if you can get the handle to spin more with the handle parts off. If may jar the balancer. Stick the handle on just to test it.

Mike NJ

Old 10-13-11, 03:35 PM
J
Here's the updated photo with some of the other pieces off. I really feel like I'm getting into scary territory right now.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Old 10-13-11, 04:20 PM
J
I have pulled out the gray separator piece and I'm going to replace.

Old 10-13-11, 05:43 PM
J
I fixed it!

I replaced the balancer and now it works great, although it works differently than before. It works nicely. Thanks everyone for your input.

Old 10-13-11, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
How does it work differently? Just wondering what faucet it was?

Looks like a kohler to me.... but the black plastic stop with the teeth look unfamiliar.

Fixed the link here.

Pictures by jeffyjoe44 - Photobucket

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: