new faucet/portable dishwasher connection question

Old 11-09-11, 05:27 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new faucet/portable dishwasher connection question

This might be hard to explain but I'll do my best. I apologize I do not know the correct terminology I'm sure. I had a faucet leaking and decided to replace it. I had a portable dishwasher fitting/adapter (aerator) on the old faucet that the dishwasher just clips onto. The new faucet has threads on the inside opposite of the old faucet so I need outside threads on the dishwasher fitting. I went to the parts store and they sold me a plastic adapter that threads onto the fitting and then can thread onto the faucet. No problem. However, when I now turn on the faucet to use water in the sink, water not only comes out of the bottom where the screen is but it also comes out of the slits that are in the side of the dishwasher adapter. On the old faucet water never came out the slits when running water into the sink. Have I missed something? Is there another piece I might have forgotten about and failed to remove from the old faucet? The dishwasher fitting has a gasket and below that a plastic piece with legs and then a spring. Did something fall out that I didn't see when I removed from the old faucet? I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help you can offer. I need to wash dishes!!! (yes I know.....I could do them the old fashioned way, but hey, who really wants dishpan hands!!??)

Old 11-09-11, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
The Dish washer piece is a snap coupling. I never saw one with slits in it. Why dont you get a new one. They make different types.

The slits on a regular aerator I have seen. When these leak out the slits it usually means a washer is missing or its not screwed in tight enough.

Mike NJ

Old 11-09-11, 06:29 PM
N
I can't get a new one because according to the guys at Lowes and at the appliance part store they don't exist with the threads on the outside of the snap coupling. I actually bought one like that, but it was very short and the guy at lowes told me I had to have a long one (which didn't make sense) but they don't make a long one and the short one blew water out the underside of my faucet all over the floor. I guess it was blowing out all the fittings because there was water everywhere.

As for the leaking out the slits....I thought it might mean a washer was missing, but I added a washer and then couldn't even screw the snap coupling in at all.

I'm really regretting the new faucet.

Maybe if I wrote the dishwasher manufacturer or the faucet company??? Maybe they could sell me exactly what I must need. Thanks lawrosa.

Old 11-09-11, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Dont know what type you have but they make them. Possibly the home store dont carry them. Trust me they make it.

What type do you have?

This

This

As you can see they have threads on the outside.

Mike NJ

Old 11-09-11, 09:40 PM
N
that's the snap coupling? My current one looks nothing like either one of those. I could take pics of everything I'm talking about and explain what each one did wrong a little better if I knew how to get pics on here, but I don't. And actually the one I bought and tried isn't even like those above. And the plastic adapter I bought should work with no leak at the slits so that's what has me baffle the most.

Old 11-09-11, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Post pics to a free site like photobucket.com. Then post the link to thouse pics here.

Mike NJ

Old 11-10-11, 05:45 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Old 11-10-11, 06:31 PM
N
Thanks lawrosa and ray......I took pics but my computer is acting up trying to download from camera.....stay tuned......as soon as I can get them downloaded and uploaded I will post them.....may be tomorrow night

Old 11-12-11, 12:24 PM
N
Ok, well having issues with pictures HOWEVER I kept thinking about the snap coupling I already had that worked with the old faucet. When I took the washer out of it all the other components inside had come out and I finally figured out that I had put them back in incorrectly, so carefully thinking about it, I removed and replaced them in a way that made sense and it worked!!!!!! Yay!!!!! So, thanks so much for the help and now I'm off to unload and reload the dishwasher!!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: