Replaced aerator on sink, water coming out of top of aerator and under sink too

Old 11-13-11, 10:54 AM
Replaced aerator on sink, water coming out of top of aerator and under sink too

I had very low pressure coming out of my sink, so i took the aerator off and water flow was normal. Thought it would be simple enough to go buy a new aerator and screw it back on. Got the new one screwed on as tight as i can get it with pliers, and water is coming out of the top of the aerator, and from somewhere water is coming out under my sink as well! Any tips on what to check? the aerator seem to be the right size, it did catch and screw on ok (i think, first time ever doing this).
I think the water is coming from the very top under the sink, so must be something with the aerator, as if i take it off and then turn the water on full blast, no drips under.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-11, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Check the washer on the aerator. There should be two or one large one. It should extend 1/8" past the threads of the aerator so it makes a good seal when screwed onto the faucet.

Mike NJ

Old 11-13-11, 11:11 AM
its a female aerator and the new one came with a washer inside of it, although its not really thick. Think i just need to go to the store and buy a thicker washer?

Old 11-13-11, 11:16 AM
actually, i tried to put the old one back on, and its doing the same thing. maybe i'm not putting it on right or tight enough? it catches the threads then i get it tight with my hands then use pliers to make it as tight as i can make it

Old 11-13-11, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
You may have stripped it. Check the threads. These are real fine threads so its possible.

Mike NJ

Old 11-13-11, 11:28 AM
the threads on the inside of the new aerator seem ok, dont look chewed up or anything. cant really see the threads on the faucet, as their inside the part that sticks out kinda. time for a new faucet altogether?

Old 11-13-11, 03:32 PM
Looks like no matter how loose or tight i put the aerator on, water still comes out the top of the aerator and still drips below the sink. under the sink, it appears to be coming down from two pointy things under my faucet, guessing one for hot one for cold, as i'd image thats where the handles would be if my faucet had a separate hot and cold handle.

am i probably just not screwing this on right?

Old 11-13-11, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Its leaking from the aerator threads and spraying imside the spout. Then down the spout internally in the faucet. Fix the aerator fixes the leak.

Its a washer issue. Its not sealing enough.

The washer should rise above the body by 1/8" . Also all the parts need to be installed correctly in the aerator. Often homeowners pop the restrictor out, but it dont work.

Mike NJ

Old 11-13-11, 04:34 PM
I think the one i bought has all the parts, the mixer and restricter are one. its a Plumb Craft by Waxman Faucet Aerator female threaded SF-3 sink & faucet. 76-101 in the upper right corner. looks like the flow restricter has a tip off of it, guessing to keep the screens down or something. there's only 2 maybe 3 threads above the washer. and i did buy two of these, both and the old one seem to do the same thing. i gotta be doing something wrong. can it screw on incorrectly really? any tips to actually screw it on right? i feel so stupid with this.

Old 11-13-11, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Sometimes the old washer gets stuck up on the faucer side. Remove the aerator and feel around. If there is a washer pop it out.

I say this because some aerators come with different size washers for different applications and aerator types.

Mike NJ

Old 11-13-11, 05:01 PM
When i unscrewed the old aerator the washer came out with it, and i did put my finger up in the hole and didnt feel anything i could pull out.

Old 11-13-11, 05:20 PM
Hi, Sounds like you may have cross threaded the aerator. You should at least get a turn or two with your fingers. Take out the washer on the old one so you know nothing is hanging it up. Then try to tread it on with your fingers. If it doesn't go put some oil or grease on the threads. When it goes on and you have the "feel" put the new one on.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 11-13-11, 05:27 PM
I mean i can turn it a few twists with my hands before it gets tight, but originally i figured when water was coming out the top of the aerator that it wasnt tight enough so i used pliers to tighten it more. i took the washer out of one of the new ones and it does twist on ok although same bad results

Old 11-13-11, 05:52 PM
Hi, I reread the post and maybe found your problem. Lawrosa's post# 3989 states the washer should be about 1/8 inch above the body of the areator (that's correct). Your post # 8 states that only a couple of threads are above the washer ( that is incorrect).
Get a thin washer to put under the big washer. Maybe you can file or sand down the old washer to get the hieght you need.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 11-13-11, 05:55 PM
so since this is a female aerator, the washer should actually be sticking out a little above the top of the aerator itself? if thats the case, the one they give you is WAY to thin

Old 11-13-11, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
so since this is a female aerator, the washer should actually be sticking out a little above the top of the aerator itself?
Yes. I did state that in post #2 and #8.

Usually the aerators come with several washers thick and thin so you can adjust for your application. As I posted in post #10.

Have you been listening to me at all ????? LOL

Mike NJ

Old 11-14-11, 06:30 AM
oh i've been listening. this aerator only came with the one washer. and this washer sits inside the new aerator at exactly the same spot as the washer on the old aerator i removed.

maybe i'm missing something, but if the washer is big enough to cover all the threads on the inside of the female aerator and stick out slightly above the aerator body, how will the threads ever catch to screw in on the faucet?

Old 11-14-11, 06:34 AM
also, in post #8 you're showing the wrong kind of aerator, that's a male, i'm working with a female aerator as i've stated. not sure if that's where part of the confusion came from.

Old 11-14-11, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
Yes OK. I have not seen male thread faucets in a long time. But yes the washer will sit inside the aerator. ( See I guess I assume too much )

I would guess the faucet spout may be cracked. Around by the threads? But there is no reason it should leak if the mating surfaces are good and its threaded properly.

Mike NJ

Old 11-14-11, 06:53 AM
I'll have to see if i can use a mirror or something to see up in there, as the sink's kinda small so can't get my head under there. i'll see if i notice any cracks where i'm screwing the aerator on to. thanks for all the tips.