Tried many options, still having toilet issues

Old 11-28-11, 04:20 PM
Tried many options, still having toilet issues

Hey everyone! I'm hoping that someone can offer advise. We're about to go out and buy a replacement toilet, but I wanted to try these forums first, as we've been using them as Lurkers.

1 - 1st floor toilet, City sewer, older "heavy" toilet with a high capacity tank.
2 - First problem that was noticed was that water backed up into bathtub. We plungered heavily in both toilet and tub, and ran Liquid Plummer. The tub was "cured," but soon afterward the toilet started to seep.
3 - We pulled the toilet and I replaced the wax ring, thinking it would fix the issue. Seeping stopped, but the toilet now started to slow drain from the bowl during flush. The water level would rise, and pull a minimal vortex not strong enough to pull any solids. Eventually the water would drain out, and you could hear it do so through the pipes. I use a mini snake to clean the water drains along the bowl and in the base. There are no leaks from the top reservoir.
4 - I bought a basic $10 auger snake from Menards. I worked the toilet and it seemed to clear the problem. After 3-4 uses however, the problem returned. All along, the tub never backed up again.
5 - I pulled the toilet again, and ran the snake into the main pipe. It became clear that we had flushed a piece of paper towel or baby wipe down the drain. I was successful in pulling up some of this. I put the toilet back on. It works great for 2-4 uses and again, the same problem arises.
6 - I call Roto Rooter. They bring in a heavy duty snake with barbed tip. He runs it multiple times, drops the snake about 30 feet. I hear it in the main pipe to prove this. He pulls up more paper towel. He leaves, and I replace the toilet since it saved me $150 to do it myself. The toilet works great. After 3-4 uses, the same problem arises.
7 - I run the snake down the main line again and it seems to help some, as a little bit of standing water that was there goes down. I do some of the tricks the RR man showed me to test, like running all of the taps in the room and verifying the water level is down. This time we swap the downstairs high efficiency toilet and the "big old one." The newer toilet flushes great and seems to pass the 3-4 flush tests I give it. We change the old toilet back as we want to keep the smaller unit in the bathroom downstairs. Again, the toilet seems to work great. 4-5 uses in, the same issue happens.

We're about ready to give up and try replacing the toilet alltogether, as I fear it is old and might have the issue within the unit itself. I called RR back and they won't come back unless we pay them (no guarantee on the work they did), and they suggest running a camera line. That's last resort IMO, but I wanted to come here before I try either of the options.

Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-11, 05:01 PM
Temporarily Suspended
My guess is that no one flushed a paper towel. My guess is that you use Charmin toilet paper. Is that correct?

Old 11-28-11, 05:08 PM
Yes, Charmin Ultra Soft. Although I will say that I saw the debris when it came up, and it had designs and texture like a paper towel.

Old 11-29-11, 06:00 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Charmin is your problem. Stop using it.