Washing Machine drain overflow

Old 12-06-11, 10:32 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washing Machine drain overflow

The drain for my washing machine has started overflowing when it drains. Usually it wont overflow the first load that is washed for the day but even when it doesnt overflow it always has a kind of gurgle and burps some water out then will go ahead and drain. But always after the first 1 or 2 loads it will just completely overflow. I borrowed a snake from a friend that was about 10 - 12ft long and was able to run it down all the way but still have the same problem. Does this just mean the blockage is further down or is there another problem. Also ran some Thrift drain cleaner thru the line. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-11, 02:37 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If the problem isn't further down the line, there could a problem with the vent. Do any other fixtures drain into that line between the machine & the trap?

Old 12-06-11, 08:56 PM
O
not that I am aware of, but I have been getting a sewer smell that I notice from time to time in my bathroom that is just around the corner. I have just noticed this since the drain problem started in the laundry room. Would this indicate a possible vent problem. All the drains in the bathroom are working fine.

Old 12-06-11, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Your line is clogged farther down. Its probably only a patial clogg. Clogged lines cause vent issues with other fixyures and can cause the water to be siphoned out of other traps like your batroom. The bathroom line probably joins the washer line and the clogg is past them both.

Snake the washer line far enough to reach the main. Use a large enough snake for the pipe size. To do it properly the trap at the washer will need to be removed. You will never get the proper size snake to bend through the trap.

Drain cleaners are a gimmick and dont work. Save your money.

Mike NJ

Old 12-07-11, 06:25 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Liquid Fire isn't a gimmick. That stuff works.

Old 12-07-11, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Its an acid. The concept is to burn a path at the bottom of the pipe. Does nothing for the clogg.

Waste of money IMO.

Mike NJ

Old 12-07-11, 10:27 AM
O
Thanks, will see if I can rent a longer snake and see if that takes care of the problem. Will let you know