Connecting drain pipe assembly to drain line

Old 12-27-11, 04:36 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting drain pipe assembly to drain line

I am redoing a half bath and I am replacing the vanity, the sink, faucets, etc. The new faucet is a Delta two handle widespread lavatory faucet (model 3555 series). The new sink drain assembly has what appears to be a 1 inch metal tailpiece (with no threads on it) as the drain pipe that would connect to the P trap, and the P trap would subsequently connect to the drain pipe coming out of my wall. The PVC drain pipe coming out of my wall is has what appears to be a 1.5 inch PVC fitting.

Now, the very last step in the directions for the faucet says, "connect assembly to drain". Sounds easy enough I'm guessing with the right fitting, but I'm having trouble finding a 1' to 1.5' PVC P trap fitting (my previous P trap is 1.5 on both ends). Is that what I need or am I way off?

Also, newbie plumbing question #2, how will this fitting connect to the drain tail pipe as it has no threads? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-11, 09:50 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Use a rubber coupling with clamps. That should be easy enough to find.

Old 12-28-11, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
The new sink drain assembly has what appears to be a 1 inch metal tailpiece (with no threads on it
)

Actually 1 1/4.

Install that normally as the directions state.

That tailpiece fits into the trap with a nut and washer. There is a fatter washer that comes with the trap to convert. Look for it and let us know. This washer will fit over the tailpiece snug, but be wide enough to seal the trap end.

Under the nut on the tailpiece is the 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 fatter washer.

Mike NJ

Old 12-29-11, 03:33 PM
J
The only connection between the faucet and the drain should be the stopper arm. Also lawrosa is right the tail piece should be 1 1/4 " and is connected to the p-trap with a compression fitting with conical,nylon slip joint washer

Old 12-29-11, 06:43 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Replying to PULPO

Joking right, I thought so

Old 01-02-12, 11:56 AM
B
Thanks everyone. It was throwing me off that the tail pipe was supposed to connect to the P trap without any threads to screw them together but it makes sense now. I just used a rubber washer and a nut and it works now.

I also had to get an extender because the new sink was shorter than my new sink, so the tailpipe didn't reach. Anyway, all is working properly. Thanks!