Where to position my lower drain flange in my new shower..I hope Im ok....

Old 01-18-12, 08:54 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where to position my lower drain flange in my new shower..I hope Im ok....

My rough in plumber placed the top or lip of the lower drain flange of my shower BELOW the surface of my sub-floor by about 1/4-1/2". I redid the plumbing and leveled the top of the flange with the sub-floor (per a different plumber's instruction) and proceeded to to lay the #15 felt, pre-slope layer, and then set the liner. I have noticed that many people set the lip of the drain flange above the sub-floor by what looks like 1/4" and then lay the pre-slope flush with the top of the flange. Will I be ok with the flange as I have it or do I need to rip out and start over (I hope not because it was hard to get where I am now).

Old 01-18-12, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
The flange should be above the sub floor. Then sloped morter gets laid down to make it flush to the flange.

Then rubber and top flange gets installed.

Then the rest. Finish morter and tile etc...

Mike NJ

Old 01-18-12, 09:22 PM
H
Thanks Mike, will it do the way I have it?

Old 01-18-12, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
The only pic I can find. When the flange is installed its flush to the floor. But that flange even flush is about 1/4 " above.

Like this.

Old 01-18-12, 09:37 PM
H
I hear you and that is basically what I have seen as well. The flange my rough in plumber set had a beveled edge about 3/4' to an inch long which sat into a pretty bad bevel cut in the sub-floor. I pulled the sub-floor and re-cut the bevel so that the top was flush and fit tightly into the new bevel cut. Do you see anyway this could cause a problem?

Old 01-18-12, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
There should be no bevel cut in the sub floor. The flange sits right on top of the sub floor. It sits 1/4 " above because thats how they are made to fit. Because you need to put down the morter slope to that lip. You need 1/4" per ft of slope from the outside edge of the shower to that lip.

Mike NJ

Old 01-18-12, 09:56 PM
H
Could not agree more but I am in a position now, after crap advice from licensed plumbers, that I have already laid the pre-slope. I have water tested everything which resulted in no discernible leaks. Do you see any issues down the road?

Old 01-18-12, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well yeah! How high is the pre slope ontop of the flange??? 1/4 "?

The top flange will not hold the rubber down. Unless you morter right ontop???

Something with the weep holes on the top flange if I am not mistaken.

Why dont you take a pic before you go any farther along on this project.

Mike NJ

Old 01-18-12, 10:38 PM
H
Thanks Mike, I used the "quick pitch" system and laid my bed about 1/8" over the edge of the flange. It does not appear to affect the tightening of the rubber as the upper flange is about 1/8" less in diameter than the lower. I am trying to figure out how to post the picture I took... but am failing....

Old 01-19-12, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
You need to post to a place like photo bucket.com. Its free. Then post the link to those pics here.

I dont know what you did. Here are the instructions anyway. That is the strainer correct?

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/in...erPanLiner.pdf

Mike NJ

Old 01-19-12, 08:44 PM
H
Ok, here is a picture of the finished product. After 24 hours no leaks but I am still concerned for the future?

showerdrain.jpg picture by hbrooks17 - Photobucket (thanks for the advice on posting photos).

Old 01-20-12, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Hmmm....I dont know what to tell you. Why all the rolls in the membrane? You could not get it flat?

Possibly a tile guy will chime in.

Mike NJ

Old 01-20-12, 04:08 PM
H
The liner came in a pre-folded 6' by 5' piece so I am having to let it sit to flatten out and also tighten up on the sides. I would not recommend to anyone to buy the pre-folded piece.... Thanks for the help.

Old 06-16-12, 07:10 PM
K
I found this thread while doing a search on shower drain installation. I am a bit confused by different information I am reading. I am building a custom shower just like the OP in this thread. My drain is a PVC unit and the bottom half has four round "feet" molded onto it just like the one on the Oatey PDF instruction file. Even their instructions are too vague for my brain. Is it the four round feet that rest on the subfloor or just the edge of the flange itself, with the feet below the floor? To me, the feet are made to rest on the subfloor but I need clarification. From the cutaway drawing in the link below, I can't see the feet but they are seen in the section just above it showing the different parts of the drain.

Here is the file posted in above comment http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/in...erPanLiner.pdf

Thanks! Ken

Old 03-30-13, 10:23 AM
Z
did u ever get your answer to this question on the four feet?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: