Shower Pressure Issue, Shower head is normal, body sprayers are way too high

Old 01-26-12, 05:39 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower Pressure Issue, Shower head is normal, body sprayers are way too high

I bought my condo approx. 2 years ago. It was a complete gut rehab. The master shower has an overhead shower head a 2 body sprayers, with one control for the shower head and one for the sprayers. The pressure from the overhead is perfect but the pressure coming from the 2 body sprayers is way too high. The control's range of motion is 90 degrees. You turn it maybe 10 and its already at full blast, way above what I would deem normal. Is there anyway to adjust the pressure? For reference, these are body sprayers:

Danze Product

Thank you in advance for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-12, 10:36 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
According to the specification sheet, they are supposed to have a max of 1.5 GPM.

My first thought is that a previous owner wanted more flow and drilled out the restrictors for more pressure and flow.

Old 01-27-12, 06:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
I think goldstar is on the right track. If you have an access panel to get to the back sides of the valve you could install valves, or restrictors which would allow you to adjust the flow but since most are walled in that's a slim chance. The easier route is to simply unscrew the sprayer head and install a restrictor plate. They can be purchased at most home centers and plumbing stores. It's the red plastic piece in the picture though they can look different (this was just a photo I found for an example).

Old 01-27-12, 11:57 AM
P
Thanks for the quick replies. That was my 1st instinct that the developer removed the restrictors to show how powerful and awesome the jets could be.

I'll look into adding restrictor plates. Once I do, I'll report back on the results.

Old 01-27-12, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
The restricter will add more pressure actually. What you want to do is remove the restrictor.

If you look at the instructions they are not to be plumbed in series. You need to add a pessure balance loop.

I bet thats the issue.

http://www.danze.com/products/pdfs/D460258_im.pdf

Mike NJ

Old 01-27-12, 12:57 PM
P
So if they are plumbed in series, the only real solution would be to tear open the wall and correct the installation...not the news I wanted.

I hope that's not the case but I get the feeling you are correct. I'll remove the heads, see if there is a restrictor, if so, I'll remove it, test, and report back.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 01-27-12, 01:20 PM
P
Would something like this installed before each head work?

Speakman S-2310 Thumb Operated Showerhead Volume Control

Old 01-27-12, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
It could work. Far cheaper then ripping walls apart to see how its plumbed. I would call the manufacturer and ask what the implications are if plumbed in series. I believe it may be that the head on the end has higher pressure then the inline one. But will equalize them.

Who did the plumbing?

Mike NJ

Old 01-27-12, 01:36 PM
P
Both heads have mega pressure so its not an equalization issue.

Unfortunately, I don't know who did the plumbing. I'll definitely call Danze and see what they say.