can you lubricate a shower faucet catridge

Old 02-12-12, 06:32 PM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
can you lubricate a shower faucet catridge

have a very old (at least 20 year and likely 30 plus) cartridge and the shower wasnt used heavily for about a decade..then i started using it every day.

the plastic knob broke so it just spun so i had an extra i put on it...but the thing is still so hard to turn and push in and out, you need to spin it to actually turn it off

i'm not good at plumbing...is it hard to take one out? and will one even be 'drop in' since that old or all standard?

Old 02-12-12, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
If your pulling it in and out its probably a cartridge that can be replaced.

Can you take a pic or give a name of the faucet?

Mike NJ

Old 02-13-12, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
turn off the water.
Then remove the knob.
Removed the scussion from around the stem/cartridge. They are pretty self explanatory really after that. yes you can lube up a cartridge with plumbers grease but if you already have it apart just change the cartridge or stem. you can also lube up the new one to extend some extra life into it and save wear on the washers and o rings.

Old 02-13-12, 06:02 PM
L
no brand on it even after i took off the plate..holy cow lotta cold air coming up from the crawlspace

took pic but software is on other computer so will have to upload another time...i see a sleeve outside the cartridge and was a gasket on that sleeve.

thing is, i dont see how to remove the cartridge at all..and i know once this is started must be finished so want to wait until saturday so have all day to play..just getting ducks in a row now..assuming if i get it off just walk in lowes and the def will have one since they are all standard? dont wanna risk replacing entire thing!

Old 02-13-12, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Get a pic and we can guide you and let you know what to get. Upload pic to free site like photobucket and post link back here.

take your time....

Mike NJ

Old 02-13-12, 08:12 PM
L
Old 02-13-12, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
Thats a moen 1225B.

$20 bucks at the home store.

Single-Handle Replacement Cartridge-1225 at The Home Depot

That round metel piece slides off. Just pull it. This will expose a small copper looking clip. Thats what holds that cartridge in.

Get the new one and follow the instructions. It comes with a little tool to help you get the old one out.

Note: Make sure you put the new one in with the hole in the stem facing up. This make the h/c correct. If you put the wrong way the h/c will be reversed.

Hope this all helps you.

Mike NJ

Old 02-13-12, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
Moen will send you a new cartridge for free if you call them. That is if you can wait.

Hers a pic with the tool.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...27d041355e6283

Here is a video. This is a lav faucet but its the same process to change as your shower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abSpgmaNXD0&feature=player_embedded#!
This is all I have in every faucet in my home. IMO moen 1225b is the best value and easy and cheapest to repair.

Mike NJ

Old 02-14-12, 04:10 AM
L
thanks def helps a lot! doesnt look too bad. so its that ez to just call up and say i want a new cartridge? they want old one back? i can def wait for free lol

impressive u can just tell by a pic ...not me

Old 02-14-12, 06:15 PM
L
Proof of purchase (original sales receipt) from the original consumer purchaser must accompany all warranty claims. Defects or damage caused by the use of other than genuine Moen parts is not covered by this warranty. This warranty is applicable only to faucets purchased after December, 1995 and shall be effective from the date of purchase as shown on purchaser's receipt.

hmmm well i sure dont have a receipt since i didnt buy it lol. guess i cant get a new one free?

Old 02-14-12, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Hmmm. Never had that issue. Maybe they are cracking down.

Well hey its only $20 bucks. Imagine if you had a moen posi temp cartridge. They run over $100.

Let us know how you make out lucky.

Mike NJ

Old 02-20-12, 07:45 AM
L
amazing how ez it is to turn... now no longer need a sledgehammer to shut it off lol...hardest part was lining up the clip lol

thanks for all the help..when my sink goes bad ill be able to do it quick now

it's wild how just that little clip holds back all the water pressure.

Old 02-20-12, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Great job lucky.

Mike NJ.....................

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: