No hot water pressure in kitchen sink

Old 03-19-12, 07:09 AM
No hot water pressure in kitchen sink

I have a single handle faucet in the kitchen that all of a sudden yesterday had no hot water pressure. Up until yesterday we never had a problem with it. The cold side works fine and every other faucet in the house has hot water pressure. I removed the aerator and it looke fine.

What's my next step?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-12, 11:12 AM
I'd suggest:
1)shut off the water to the faucet-using the shut-off valve below the sink,
2) disconnect the line from the valve to the faucet (at the valve end)-have a bucket handy to catch the water left in the line, if any.
3) slowly open the valve-bucket in place-and see if the water pressure is what it should be.
(If you have a spare feed line, you might want to attach it to the valve, making it easier to direct the water into the bucket.)
If the pressure okay, is then you probably have a blockage in the line from the valve to the faucet -see if there is anything gunking it up.
If the pressure is too low-check the valve-sometimes stuff clogs it up-including pieces of the washer from the valve. (you'll probably have to shut off the main water line to check that.)
Good luck, let us know what happens.

Old 03-19-12, 02:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
(If you have a spare feed line, you might want to attach it to the valve, making it easier to direct the water into the bucket.)
I highly recommend this! It's easier to remove the feed line at the shut off than it is at the faucet. I recently had my hot water at the kitchen sink slow down to a trickle due to trash in the water. Running a gallon or so of water into a bucket purged the line. I have dual handles and took the hot water side apart. I was able to pick out some of the trash but ended up using a blast of air thru the spigot back thru the feed line to get the water flow back like it was supposed to be.

Old 03-19-12, 08:54 PM
I will try your suggestions tomorrow. I did however just realize that the dishwasher, which sits right next to the kitchen sink does not have any water coming through it. So I guess I can assume that the faucet is ok and the problem is in the pipes & it's preventing water from coming through the faucet and into the dishwasher.

Old 03-20-12, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
You could have debris clogging the shut off valve under the sink. Close the valve and remove the hose leading to the sink faucet and put the end of the hose in a bucket. Then open and close the valve several times and see if that improves the water flow.

Old 09-16-14, 10:03 AM
Same problem for me. I replaced the cartridge due to a leaky faucet and, when this was complete, I noticed that the "hot" side had very little water pressure. The cold side was fine, but I could only get a very small trickle out of the hot side. (Momma was mad.....she figured that my leak repair had done more bad than good! Lots of discussion about how I should have called a plumber!)

I took off the supply line for the hot water under the sink and was able to determine that there was PLENTY of pressure at that point. I found this out when I turned on the valve and the water blasted out at 100 mph and got everything wet under the sink. (NOTE: fill the area under the sink with towels and a catch basin for the water that will surely come out when trying to fix this issue).

I then turned off the hot water supply (the cold worked just fine) and disconnected the hot water supply line from above the valve also. I took off the handle of the faucet (this is a single handle unit) where the handle attaches to the flexible hose that is used when you pull it out to spray around the sink. I then took out the little screen with a rubber washer on it and replaced it with a dime. I screwed the handle back on. The dime is to prevent any water from exiting the faucet handle. It seems to fit just perfectly!

With the catch basin in place and a full load of towels under the sink, I then turned on the cold water at the faucet above the sink. Due to the dime being in place, the water had nowhere to go but back down the hot water supply tube (which is disconnected) and effectively back flushes the line. At first, the water came out under duress, spraying a fine mist pretty much everywhere under the sink.

I then took a length of "weed whacker trim line" and used that to poke around in the supply tube to the faucet and managed to loosen up something that was clogged up at the top of the tube. I ran the water a bit more and then looked in the catch basin and found all manner of sand, gravel, and many pieces of some sort of rubber that were obviously the remnants of some washer/gasket from "downstream" somewhere. I noticed a little piece of red rubber sticking out of the line, so I grabbed it with a needle nose pliers and managed to pull out a 2 inch piece of rubber. It was almost like a diaphram-type material. I have no idea where this came from, but it was stuck in the line and the combination of the broken up washer pieces and this huge chunk of rubber was blocking the hot water from coming out.

When I tried the cold water after the red piece was removed, the water came out with rather spectacular pressure (thank goodness for the towels and the catch basin!). I put it all back together and found that everything was just fine. Hot water back to normal with plenty of pressure. Cold water still working fine. The "mixing" of the cold and hot was much better.

I suppose that my efforts at fixing the leaky faucet managed to disintegrate some washer that was in the shut-off valve or something (I replaced that just for good measure with a quarter-turn shut-off valve). I have no idea where the piece of red rubber came from, but it is gone now.

Old 06-23-16, 04:57 PM
Compressed Air fixed my problem

I'm late to this thread, but wanted to reply because I just had the same issue...new kitchen faucet with a hot-water trickle. I initially assumed I had a bad valve, so I replaced it, which didn't fix the problem. So I visited this thread for advice, and sure enough, this issue was a blockage in the faucet's hot water supply line. I fixed it by removing the supply line from the hot water valve, putting the end into a bucket and then I blew compressed air into the pull-down faucet end (with the faucet "head" removed). Two chunks of hard rubber had somehow fouled the line, and they were in the bottom of the bucket after blowing compressed air through the line for a few minutes.

I reconnected the supply line to the valve, turned the water back on, and bingo...problem solved.

Thanks for the advice....I'd still be scratching my head if not for this forum.

Old 11-26-16, 05:41 PM
Hi trishglxk,
I have similar problems with hot water in kitchen sink. What type of air compressor did you use to get the debris out?

Thanks you

Old 12-03-16, 06:50 AM
Kitchen sink hot water slows to dribble.

I have same issue, Moen tap, single handle, and will investigate similarly. I have replaced the main "thing" you get free from Home Depot, and Moen sent me a free "smaller thing" (diverter?) that I had to further remove the whole tap spout to get access to it. I have a compressor, towels, & square plastic buckety/tray thing ready to go. But... lovely wife doesn't want sink totally out of commission as we're having dinner guests tonight!

These forums worth there weight in GOLD! BIG "thanks" to all the really talented people who monitor and share their knowledge & skills! I do share what I learn, and direct everyone to "doityourself!" Thank you.

Old 01-18-17, 01:43 PM
Same issue kitchen sink (single handle faucet) low water flow for hot water. I tried to close & open wheel type handle H/W shut off valve but seems stuck no matter how hard I crank on it. Cold valve open & closes good. Area has hard water. H/W tank rental company serviced tank approx 2 months ago.

Before undertaking great tips offered here, any insights if valve seized up due to hard water buildup & best to start by replacing it?

I see there is a nut on valve handle stem .. would it be useful / possible to loosen & pull out wheel handle portion & check end?

Old 01-18-17, 05:18 PM
Group Moderator
Replace your shutoff valve.

Old 01-21-17, 11:21 AM
Thank you Pilot Dane for your quick reply

Old 04-15-17, 01:15 PM
Hot water low pressure not the valve

I've changed the cartridge on my single stem kitchen faucet and disconnected the feed from the faucet. When I opened the valve back up, the pressure was fatntastic and filled my bucket before I could get it all the way closed again. Still low pressure from the faucet. Now what?