Help with connections to a tub on a slab

Old 05-03-12, 02:05 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with connections to a tub on a slab

Hi,

I'm hoping to remove my old tub/shower unit as part of a bathroom makeover, but I'm a bit confused about what all needs to be disconnected in order for me to remove it. I've read a lot of different online advice (most without pictures), but these 2 articles make it seem like a fairly simple process, provided I know where all the pipes are - which I don't. Can anyone help clarify how I would access the pipes which need to be disconnected? (Here are the articles, just for reference):

How to Install a Bathtub: Removing the Old Tub | DoItYourself.com
Project Guide: Removing an Old Tub or Shower

So my tub is on the ground floor of a house on a slab. (Built in the early 80's) There is no access panel for the lines to the tub, so ...

1.) Are my tub supply lines in the wall directly behind the faucet fixtures? Do I need to remove all the tile and open up the wall behind the faucet/shower head to turn off the water? I noticed that when water is running through the tub faucet and I turn off the water supply to my water heater, the water to the tub stops immediately. Maybe I don't have separate shutoff valves in the wall behind the tub??

2.) As for the drain - Article 2 talks about unscrewing the locknut under the tub? How would I get access to that if my tub is on a slab?

The side of the tub shares a wall with a bedroom closet, so I am debating opening up that wall to see whatever I can. Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated, as I have never attempted to do this before. Or should I just give up and call the plumber already?

Thanks in advance,

Old 05-04-12, 12:04 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

I just wanted to shorten my original post to clarify my questions. I need to remove a tub on the ground floor in a home with a slab foundation. There is no access panel, so:

1.) For the supply lines - Are the tub supply lines in the wall behind the faucet fixtures? I need to open the wall to turn off the water to the faucets? What else would need to be disconnected here?

2.) For the drain - I need to unscrew a locknut under the tub? How would I get access to that if my tub is on a slab?

Thanks for any advice,
T

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: