Best Way to Install Shower Base

Old 05-23-12, 04:45 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best Way to Install Shower Base

Hello,

I am installing an acrylic shower base (Maax brand) over my wood subfloor, and am wondering what is the best method?

Quick background: I tore up the floor to the joists and installed new subfloor. The new floor is level and mostly flat. There are a couple of small spots where the floor dips about an 1/8". But for the most part, perfectly level and flat.

I have read that silicone can be applied to the webbing on the bottom of the shower base, and then the shower base just laid on the floor. But I have also read that it is best to make a mortar bed and set the base in that.

Wondering which method will give me the best results, and whether the floor having those couple of 1/8" dips should lean me one way or the other. I prefer to do this the best way possible, time is not an issue.

Thanks.

Ted

Old 05-23-12, 05:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I would use the thinset method. Lay down 15 lb felt, then put dollops of thinset where the base will sit, probably 4-6 of them. Squish it down. The felt will keep the wood from absorbing the water out of the thinset too prematurely.

Old 05-23-12, 09:54 PM
T
Thanks.

Just a couple of follow ups:

Is the felt attached to the subfloor? Nails?I guess I'm wondering exactly how the shower pan is attached to the floor.

Obviously I've never installed a shower pan.

Thanks again.

Old 05-24-12, 05:00 PM
T
Hi Larry

I have one additional follow up after visiting Mendards. When I initially posted, I was confused about the difference between self-leveling products and mortars.

So, at the store there was a huge variety of mortar/leveling products. If I understand your reply, a straightforward, slow setting tile mortar should do the trick?

Thanks.

Old 05-24-12, 07:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Thinset. You won't benefit with a SLC. The weight of the pan will hold itself, unless it has a lip where you can fasten it to the studs. No fastening of the felt. It is purely there to keep moisture from migrating to the wood.......holes

Old 05-24-12, 08:49 PM
T
Got it. Last question: the thinset I saw at the store called for a primer. Would the purpose of the primer be the same as the felt?

Can't imagine I would primer the felt. So I assume I would choose one or the other?

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: