Toilet weak flush after sitting 2-3 days

Old 05-24-12, 11:11 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet weak flush after sitting 2-3 days

The toilet flush goes very very slow after 2-3 days of no activity. After 5 or 6 flushes it then goes back to normal. Since it goes back to normal after 5 or 6 flushes I am pretty sure there is no clog in the septic line and plus all the rest of the drains are working properly in the home. It is like there may be an air pocket that it has to overcome before it works properly. I read I need to check the roof vent, but that doesn't make sense that it is clogged since it goes to normal after the 5 or 6th flush. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Keith

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-12, 11:15 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 78 Posts
When you say weak, do you mean not a lot of water is moving into the bowl or is moving more slowly than usual? My first thought is a buildup in the holes on the rim where the water comes into the bowl which is getting washed out with periodic flushing.

Old 05-28-12, 04:14 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The flush moves very slowly for the first 5 or 6 flushes, then goes much faster and goes back to a normal rate of a flush.

Old 05-28-12, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Is the water level in the tank ok after several days of no use? Toilets work based on the column of water above the flush valve. If the tank is only 1/2 full (or less) it will have a weak flush.

The fact it takes 5 or 6 flushes is very odd.

Our plumber Pro's should weigh in....

Old 05-28-12, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
I would be leaning more towards gunguys theory. Check the tank level before you flush.

5 or six flushes before it clears would lead me also to a clog in the toilet only, and not a main clog. Possibly something just inside the toilet, like a brush or something. Several flushes would dictate a paper clog is clearing. Paper clears easy from flushing several times then solid mass.

Make sense?

Just my two cents.

Mike NJ