Single handle shower leaking from spout even after cartridge replacement

Old 06-04-12, 08:22 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Single handle shower leaking from spout even after cartridge replacement

Hello. I have a Delta single handle shower control which is leaking water from the tub spout when in the off position. It's located in a hi-rise condo building. Not just drips, but a small steady stream.

This is the second time it's leaking. I've replaced the cartridge (RP19804) in the past w/o any issues. This time however, the leak persists after replacement.

There are two shut off valves next to the assembly which I have turned off (one lets water flow a bit when off, but not enough to prevent this work). It's not water pressure (which is on the high side) because even with a small stream of water from the shut off valve entering, it still leaks with the cartridge (new and old) in place.

I'm thinking I may not be putting the brass collar nut on tightly (I don't know the actual name for it). This is the part which goes over the cartridge and onto the assembly holding the cartridge snug. It's a bit corroded, but worked fine all this time. I tried pushing the cartridge into the assembly by hand tightly, but it still leaks.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Old 06-04-12, 09:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 785 Votes on 722 Posts
If you replaced the cartridge only, you may need to replace the seats & springs which are located behind the cartridge. Luckily it's a commonly available and inexpensive part so most home centers and plumbing suppliers carry them.

Old 06-04-12, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
As pilotdane suggests there are two parts to that valve. The cartridge and the pressure balance spool. Try getting the complete kit. There are washers behind the balance spool also.

A. Cartridge
1. balance spool

( as shown in danes pic)

Mike NJ

Old 06-04-12, 12:55 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It was a complete kit actually. I purchased the entire assembly from Home Depot.

Parts A, #1, and #2 in the diagram came together in one package.
I mistakenly referred to the whole unit as a cartridge.

Does that change your recommendation?

It just seems odd that replacing the cartridge /w new seats and springs is not fixing what seems like a common problem.

thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: