Bath tub water facet doesn't shut off - how to replace?

Old 06-10-12, 03:37 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bath tub water facet doesn't shut off - how to replace?

We just moved into an old house built in 1957. Very little has been done since it was built. A bathtub facet in one of the bathrooms is constantly running from the hot water value not turning off. Also, water sprays out of the heads of the hot and cold water valves when the water is turned on for showering. It runs, but does not spray, when the water is coming out of the spout.

Someone told me that it would require ripping out the wall to replace such old stuff. If so, I don't think we can afford it. I'm looking for a home solution because this hot water is causing major humidity issues in a bathroom without any ventilation.

The knobs are broke and barely turn. It's a real mess for these lay eyes at least.

I tried to see about an estimate for redoing it from a plumber, but it was going to cost $150 on average just to get someone to come and take a look.

Input is greatly appreciated.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-12, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Hmm...Looks like the bathtub of my youth.

Well you could rebuild that faucet with new washers/seats and possible stems. Although reusing the stems and greasing them up is what I usually do.

Another option is the replace that faucet with modern three handle. This would eliminate the washers/seats and the new faucet would use cartridges. This would get replaced from the back wall if there is access.

On more way is to replace with a single handle. The tile would need to be cut properly from the front in the front so a remodel plate will cover the larger opening

NJ prices ( to give you an idea) range from rebuild @ $300 to replacment @ $800-$1200.

All depends who you get.

Mike NJ

Old 06-10-12, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

Turn the water off, cover the drain, unscrew and remove the handle, remove the escutcheon, unscrew and remove the valve stem, replace the stem washer with one of the proper size and type (flat or beveled), use a new screw to hold the washer if the old one is damaged.

Grease the outer threads on the stems with an appropriate lubricant, as Mike suggested, and reinstall everything. Do the same for each faucet/valve in the house.

Old 06-10-12, 08:28 PM
C
I tried removing the plating that goes up against the wall on the faucets. The screw head just popped off and small pieces of metal started running off of it as the water kept dripping. I'd say this whole faucet is shot, but I don't know much about this endeavor as is obvious.

The crap just won't come apart like it naturally should.

So, should I cut a hole behind the refrigerator and see what my access is like? Sounds like a chore.

I'll have to locate the water MAIN shut off because the ones between the sink and the tub are literally plastered into the wall and can't move. I assumed they are for all the water in the bathroom.

Old 06-12-12, 04:41 PM
C
Thanks everyone for the input.

I cut a hole in the wall to see what we have behind it. I noticed some leakage seemed to be flowing out and onto the cement below the tub. Photos of the cut-out attached.

One problem we have is that the water cannot fully shut off for the home. I shut off the water main as tight as I could, but water still ran at a limited rate of flow. You could hear it passing through the main valve in that high pitched sound.

I can shut off the hot water from the tank so it would only be the cold water that flows out until I can somehow cap it...

Attached Images  
Old 06-12-12, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Might be a gate valve at the main. Turn too tight and they break. Then you may have no water.

First things first. Have the water shut off at the street. Then replace the main valve with a full port ball valve.

Then what do you want to do with after you take care of the valve?

IMO unless you are going to renovate, and since you have access to the back, I would install a direct replacement.

Here is the cheapest and will do the job. From here the price goes up when you get into the name brands. When and if you renovate intall a moen.

3-Handle Tub and Shower Faucet in Chrome-834-0201 at The Home Depot

Mike NJ