Toilet Tank Still Keeps Emptying

Old 06-22-12, 06:40 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Tank Still Keeps Emptying

We have replaced a flapper and a flush valve. The existing fill valve is operating correctly w/ the fill tube at the right level. The tank is still losing water (very) slowly and it gets empty when we want to flush. I can see very subtle water movement in the bowel, indicating the small amount of water is trickling. No visible water leaks around the toilet.

What else can we do? Will replacing a gasket between the tank and the bowel make any difference?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-12, 07:47 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
We have replaced a flapper and a flush valve. The existing fill valve is operating correctly w/ the fill tube at the right level. The tank is still losing water (very) slowly and it gets empty when we want to flush.
Did you smooth off the seat for the flapper when you replaced it?

Old 06-22-12, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
New flapper probably....the Pro's carry 3 or 4 because some don't seal right. I've heard of some people heating them in hot water and installing them to help them conform to the seat.

Inspect the seat carefully to check for cracks or chips...clean it off with a white scrubby pad to remove deposits.

The bowl gasket doesn't affect the issue you have. It just prevent leaks between the bowl and tank.

Make sure the rubber tube to the fill valve isn't pushed down too far. It should be above the water line.

Old 06-24-12, 08:25 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: Toilet Tank Still Keeps Emptying

I double checked that the seat is smooth and also tried the hot water trick. The problem still persisted. I went back to store, bought a "Korky" flapper, and replaced the existing new "Plumb Pak" flapper. THAT finally stopped draining. I think we can never go wrong with quality brand name parts when it comes to plumbing. It ended up costing me more money & time just to save a few dollars!

Thanks everyone