Leaky Shower Drain

Old 06-29-12, 04:29 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaky Shower Drain

A few months back I noticed some water damage in my ceiling in the basement and I didn't want mold to start growing so I opened up the ceiling without too much delay (okay, there may have been a slight delay ). Attached are a few pictures of what I found -- a leaky shower drain! The picture was taken from below the P-trap looking toward the drain as it comes out of the floor above. The leak only appears to be intermittent, but this picture was taken as it was actually leaking. Ignore the paper towels wrapped around some of the joints as they were part of a previous analysis to determine where the leak actually was.

You'll have to forgive me a little here as I try to describe where the leak actually is. If you look where the drain meets the floor there is some fiberglass type insulation (solid, not soft) that seems to be separated from the rest of the insulation (see the 3rd picture with the 'C' looking mark). I think the water is coming from between there and the drain, but it is very difficult to say for sure as the space to work in is currently very small since I didn't want to tear out more ceiling than was required. Anyways, I digress.

Can you guys give me some pointers on how to approach fixing this? I've worked with PVC installing irrigation systems so I can get around okay there, but I don't have any idea what lies between the shower and what's shown in the picture.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-12, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Hi,

You need to replace the shower strainer. You have two choices. A solvent weld strainer like you have I believe or a donut type strainer.

It may be difficult if you never done it. The hardest part is having enough room to get a tool on that nut for removal and installation.

3 of the first 4. They all get installed a little different.

Drains

Mike NJ

Old 06-29-12, 07:56 PM
B
Thank you for the info and quick response lawrosa.

Do I need to take size into consideration when selecting a new drain or are they pretty much standard? I can definitely see space being an issue when trying to remove the existing drain. So I should be able to loosen the existing drain by turning the nut with the vertical ridges?

Old 06-29-12, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator
So I should be able to loosen the existing drain by turning the nut with the vertical ridges?
Yes. Try to loosen it first. If the pipe from the trap to the strainer is glued in, dont cut it until you get that nut off. Otherwise the whole assembly will just spin and you will have to go to plan B to remove.

Plan be involves cutting the strainer out without cutting into the shower base.

If you cant get a large pliers up there, I often use a large basin wrench with a ling finger on it. Not many people have them so its not common. Some places you can rent them if they have them.

Mike NJ

Old 06-30-12, 09:30 AM
B
I removed the drain cover just a bit ago do to some more investigation. Everything looks okay from what I can see, but I was going to remove the top layer (no idea what this part is called) to take a closer look. I'm guessing there is a rubber washer underneath this that could be the corporate (similar to what you see at 4:00 here)? It looks like I need a key of some sort to be able remove this top layer so I started browsing homedepot.com for something similar to a 2" drain removal key (also shown in the video link above), but I was unable to locate the correct tool. Does anyone know what to refer to this tool as? Am I wasting my time investigating this part of the drain? Also, is this or this sufficient for a replacement? I just want to make sure I grab the right things when I run to the store.

Thanks again!

Last edited by beamer7296; 06-30-12 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-30-12, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
You may be able to repair that easy now that I see it.

Once you het that piece turned out you can unscrew the flange and re-putty it.

You can make a too or tap lightly ccw at a notch to start loosening it.

Often a large channel locks open up can be used as a wrench to grab those threaded tabs that hold the cover plate. Hard to explain but you can turn it with them.

Also check if the hold flange is loose.grab the flange and if there is movement you need new putty under there.

It could just be the rubber donut and that piece you want to remove just needs to be tightens.

That piece squishes the rubber around the 2" pipe coming up through the middle.

Mike NJ

Old 06-30-12, 03:52 PM
B
Well, I think I may have found the problem! I removed the cap using a flathead screwdriver and a hammer to slowly turn it in a counter-clockwise motion until I could move it with my hand. Below is what I found beneath the cap--a busted washer! It's interesting that the washer is not vertical like the video I posted, but flat instead and sits on top of the drain.

I looked on Home Depot and Lowes websites, but was unable to find a replacement. Is this something that a plumbing store might have or will I likely need to replace the entire drain assembly?

Old 06-30-12, 06:29 PM
B
Update: I've looked online and in stores all day and haven't been able to find a replacement gasket. Obviously replacing the entire drain assembly is an option, but is there an alternative to the neoprene gasket that would prevent complete replacement? The house is only 7 years old so the drain is certainly no older than than. Also, should I use a plumbing lubricant on the threads when reassembling?