Strange flapper valve problem.

Old 07-06-12, 07:13 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Strange flapper valve problem.

The flapper valves in one of our toilets start leaking after a couple of months. When I take out the leaky valve, it looks like this:
Name:  flapper.jpg
Views: 3102
Size:  20.2 KB
I replace the valve and everything's fine--for a couple of months.

A couple of years ago I noticed that, if I let the faulty valve sit around for a week or so, it would straighten out, and if I saved it until the new one failed, I could install it again and it would be fine for another couple of months. (I hate to think how many I threw away before I noticed this.) Now I have two valves and swap them out whenever the toilet starts to leak.

I have tried several different brands of valves, but none of them seemed to work any better or worse.

I have a suspicion that the clorox tablets my wife is using might have something to do with this, but she uses them in our other toilets, and they don't have this problem. Whatever it is, it's only affecting this toilet, but I can't see anything wrong with the seat.

Has anybody ever seen anything like this?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-12, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Yes most likely from the chlorine tabs.

Are the flappers of the same brand in the other toilets, or is this toilet the only one with a replacement?

I would assume this toilet does not get used much, so the chlorine concentration is higher in the tank for longer periods.

Last edited by lawrosa; 07-06-12 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 07-06-12, 07:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 88 Votes on 77 Posts
Our leases specifically prohibit tenants from putting anything in the tank which contains bleach for just this reason.

Old 07-06-12, 06:29 PM
I
Thumbs up

That's it! You're absolutely right. This is the guest bathroom toilet.

My wife didn't welcome this news, but when I suggested she could replace the flappers from now on she relented. Frankly, I'm not too sanguine about her putting these things in any of our toilets, but sometimes you've gotta compromise. Boy, what a great product these are, huh? Wonder how many people go on vacation and come home to find all their toilets running.

Is there anything out there that's safe to use in toilets that aren't used everyday?

Thanks!

Old 07-06-12, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Fluidmaster makes a cleaning agent that is released into the bowl only when the toilet is flushed.

Old 07-06-12, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Is there anything out there that's safe to use in toilets that aren't used everyday?
Yeah a toilet scrub brush.........LOL

They are safe on toilets and usually are not used everyday. But if you use it more often you will not need bleach tabs.

Why are you using bleach tabs?
Are you getting stains?
City water? Well?
Hard water?

I don't use anything. I scrub the toilet once a week or so with a brush. I use baking soda and vinegar. Pour baking soda in the bowl about 1/2 cup or less and the same amount of vinegar then brush away. It may start bubbling on you so don't panic. Its harmless.

Nothing replaces manual labor IMO, plus I am against chemical use unless I cant help it.

Old 07-07-12, 05:36 AM
I
My wife is the one using the bleach tablets. (I only use them in the pool! lol) She's the one who cleans the toilets, and she thinks they make that job easier. I try not to get involved. :-)

We're on a municipal water supply, but the water is pretty hard. I have to keep taking fixtures apart and soaking them in white vinegar, so maybe a shot of that will help with the toilets too, but it's usually only a problem on surfaces where water can evaporate. I'm not sure what the baking soda does for you, but I'll give that a try too. I might even try some washing soda and see what that does.

Thanks for the suggestions.