Delta faucet handle removal

Old 07-09-12, 01:55 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Delta faucet handle removal

Hi everyone,

I have a leaky sprout on a Delta single handle kitchen faucet. I removed the screw (I believe it's called an allen screw) to remove the facuet handle but it won't come off. I don't want to tug on it because I might mess something up but am I missing something?

Thanks for your help,

Michael

Old 07-09-12, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Keep trying... be a little more forceful.

Try to pull it as firm and straight off the stem as you can. A few raps with a mallet or padded hammer may help. There's no easy way to get any solvent in there I don't believe.

The cast metal of the handle and the brass of the cart stem always get corroded.

It seems like you may be able to unscrew the retaining ring and pull the cart along with the handle?

You may still not be able to separate the 2 parts though.

Unless this is one of their more expensive models...replacement might be in your future.

Old 07-09-12, 03:58 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Getting some vinegar on it - plain distilled white vinegar - and waiting 15 minutes often helps. Any empty spray bottle will do to get it in. A shot straight into the socket you removed the set screw from is recommended.

Old 07-09-12, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
You may still not be able to separate the 2 parts though.

Unless this is one of their more expensive models...replacement might be in your future.

I have to agree that sometimes they do not come apart. Usually the handle breaks or the cart stem stays in the handle.

Moen IMO is a good replacement option. I have them in my home.

Moen faucets actually have a piece of plastic that separates the handle from the stem so this will not happen.

Old 07-11-12, 04:19 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I was able to get the handle off. I tapped the base of the handle with my screw driver and it loosened it where I could pull it off.

I replaced all the parts with new ones and the only thing that seems off is that it's really tight in there. I can feel some resistance when I use the handle but I don't know if that's normal because it was bad before I fixed it. Maybe it's the rubber seats that might be too big. I'm not sure but at least it isn't dripping.

Michael

Old 07-11-12, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Good job.

In my experience its a Delta. And if its the old ball style parts with the springs and washers then you will probably be replacing that faucet in the near future.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: