replace old toilet flapper

Old 07-10-12, 06:41 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replace old toilet flapper

Toilet flapper stopped working. It doesn't sit right 50% of the time and water runs. I think the bathroom is from the 70s, so I figured any universal flapper would do and I bought this one Korky Brand Toilet Tank Repair Products .

When I went to replace the flapper, it wasn't the right one. I'll use the following image for the names of stuff http://www.rusticgirls.com/images...iagram.gif . Well, the problem is that the flapper arms have no where to go. I don't have mounting prongs on the bottom of the overflow tube.

Instead there are mounting prongs on the valve seat at a 90 degree angle to the overflow tube. Furthermore the mounting prongs are inverted. They require a flapper with solid flapper arms to push out of it.

I don't see any flapper on korky or home depot website that looks like it would fit. I'm going to go to home depot and double check, but do you guys know what kind of flapper I need? Or I need to replace the overflow tube with one that has the newer style of mounting prongs?

Old 07-10-12, 06:49 AM
S
Old 07-10-12, 07:00 AM
S
I found this as a posible replacement: American Standard Actuating Unit with Seat and Beaded Chain 073380-0070A at The Home Depot

However, the review on it scares me. How can I tell if that is the exact part I want? Although its out of stock. I could possibly buy it from amazon. They have several different ones.

Amazon.com: American Standard 068470-0070A Actuating Unit with Seat Disc: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: American Standard 073380-0070A Flapper Assembly: Home Improvement

At $20 for this thing, would it be wiser to just replace the whole toilet tank?

Old 07-10-12, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Hi!

Do you still have the old flapper? I believe that toilet you have is an American Standard?

Your best bet is reuse the old flapper and get a new disk.

Or yes you can change the whole flush valve, but you may open up a can of worms. Tank bolts, tank gasket, etc.....

Here is the disk. It just unscrews. But what I remember there are two different thread patterns and or I believe there was a snap in disk that was possibly for aftermarket tilt systems.

3 in. Flush Valve Disc for American Standard Tilt-Style Flush Valves-9DD0088936 at The Home Depot

Old 07-10-12, 07:10 AM
S
yes its an american standard toilet. I do have the old part, but I took it out and I don't know if I broke it.

I'm not sure what to do right now. Based on the reviews for the flapper you linked, I'm afraid it won't work right. I wonder if replacing the whole toilet tank would be easier? How can I tell what toilet I have? Does it have a model number somewhere on it? I want to see how much a replacement toilet tank would cost.

Old 07-10-12, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Probably will not find a tank for that toilet. I believe its 1970"s early 1980's from what I remember.

What did you break? The flapper itself or the tabs on the flush valve?

Here is the snap on style.

The other style I linked from the home store is the threaded style.

You can get a new flapper of that type if you broke the taps, but you are taking the tank off anyway just put a conventional flush valve in.

You may be better off getting a new flush valve, butr then again a whole new toiler might be an option.

Here is the flush valve with tank bolts and tank gasket included.

Plumber Supply | Flush Toilet | Complete Flush Valve Kit

Last edited by lawrosa; 07-10-12 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-10-12, 08:12 AM
S
I believe I have the snap on flapper. I just pulled it off, not unscrewed. Does home depot have the snap on kind as well? Or does the Danco one you linked work for both types?

Not sure what I broke, I have to look at it at home.

Somehow I figured that replacing the tank would not be possible. The last and only time I replaced a toilet, I decided I wouldn't do that again. Plus I want to remodel this bathroom in the next few years, so I don't want to replace the toilet now.

I'll try just replacing the flapper with the one you linked. Then when that doesn't work, I guess I'll suck it up and replace the toilet. Thanks for the help in any case.

Old 07-10-12, 10:43 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Plus I want to remodel this bathroom in the next few years, so I don't want to replace the toilet now.

I'll try just replacing the flapper with the one you linked. Then when that doesn't work, I guess I'll suck it up and replace the toilet.
If you are far enough along in thinking about what you want your bathroom to look like after you remodel it, maybe you could get a head start by buying the toilet now that you want to have then.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: