Toilet Seat Replacement Issue - Plastic Nut utterly stuck

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-12, 08:21 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Seat Replacement Issue - Plastic Nut utterly stuck

Hello, there. I'm trying to replace a toilet seat. It's held in place with two plastic bolts (a very wide, "flat-head" screw top) and two plastic nuts. These nuts are completely stuck, and the assembly is recessed into the toilet, so it's hard to get a good angle and next to impossible to see.

Worse yet, the holes the bolts are in are not threaded, so the bolt can turn freely in the hole, but it never unscrews. I tried using a screwdriver to hold it in place, but the nut wouldn't turn, and the top of one of the bolts is fairly stripped and difficult to use.

I have tried the following:
  • Used a pair of vice-grips to try to split the nut in two - only ended up chewing the bottom half of the nut. I'm not too experienced with tools - perhaps that screw thing on the bottom of the handle has some use?
  • Sprayed it with a ~1-second squirt of WD40 on the top of the bolt and where the nut is, no change. (EDIT: Forgot to clarify, I let it sit for about an hour before trying to loosen the nut.)

So, that's my predicament. At this point, I'm willing to do almost anything.

Thanks!

Old 07-24-12, 08:30 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'd have someone hold a vice grips or similar on the nuts to hold everything still and then I'd drill out the head of the bolt so the whole thing would drop out the bottom of the hole.

Old 07-24-12, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Get a hack saw blade and cut then off. Right between the top of the bowl and in between the seat.

Use a blade without the handle. Wear gloves and be conscience of the bowl as to not scratch it.

Hold both ends of the blade and hold each end or the blade up slightly. This protects the bowl better.

Old 07-24-12, 08:35 AM
C
Welcome to the forums.
Thanks!

I'd have someone hold a vice grips or similar on the nuts to hold everything still and then I'd drill out the head of the bolt so the whole thing would drop out the bottom of the hole.
We have a drill here, though it hasn't been used too much. I'll certainly try that out!

Get a hack saw blade abd cut then off. Right between the top of the bowl and inbetween the seat.

I'm not sure if we have a blade, we might, I'll look around. Thanks for your help!

Old 09-01-14, 01:20 PM
S
Had the same problem, used the pictured tool and it cut right through. Do not know the name of this tool (it somehow ended up in my tool box), but it is similar to a mini hacksaw.
Name:  2014-09-01-141523-1.jpg
Views: 10789
Size:  30.3 KB

Old 09-01-14, 01:24 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Welcome to the forums. That's a coping saw.

Old 09-01-14, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Welcome to the forums and thats for the additional input..

This is an old thread so I will close it... Please start a new thread with any issues..

Thanks...........

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: