Rear Outlet Toilets

Old 08-10-12, 08:57 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rear Outlet Toilets

I want to add a new toilet to a room with a concrete slab floor. The present bathroom is adjacent to the new one and the ABS soil stack runs between the wall of the two rooms. Can I simply cut into the soil stack and connect a rear outlet toilet here. This would have the two toilets back to back, one through the floor and one through a rear outlet to the soil stack.

There is also a cleanout at floor level and it might be necessary to cut it out. Could it be replaced above the level of the new rear exit toilet connection?

Old 08-10-12, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
You will need to vent the toilet if you do that I believe. Although I would need to check the code regarding that.

Plus to be truly accurate you would need to describe this stack and all plumping that ties into it a all levels.

Old 08-10-12, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
And just to be clear......Canada may have slightly different codes...so you would need to verify with local authorities.

Don't think we have any Canadian plumbing Pro's here?

Old 08-11-12, 08:42 AM
T
Rough Sketch

Here is a rough sketch of what I am trying to accomplish. I know there may be a variation of code for Canada but if it will work as outlined I can then determine if it will meet Canadian code.

Right now there is a washer drain, and bathroom sink connected to an 1 1/4 ABS pipe that vents horizontally to the soil stack. The soil stack has a toilet connected from under the concrete slab.

I would like to connect a rear outlet toilet to the soil stack from the opposite side of the other toilet which might require the clean out to be moved higher. And then add a sink to vent above through existing vent, and drain to soil stack. The length of the vent pipe does not exceed 5 feet.

Attached Images  
Old 08-11-12, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Does anything feed into that soil stack from above?

On the rear outlet toilet will you have room to fit a 3 x 3 x 2 Y? If so you need to dump the proposed sink into that Y and not the soil stack.

Plus its still not right that since it looks like your adding to the stack the existing toilet will now need to be vented. ( I would have to check my local codes to be sure. )

Again this is what I believe is correct here in the states and as Vic stated check your local authority.

Old 08-11-12, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
I can't quote exact code except to say it is not accepted practice to connect the toilet directly to the stack.
You would need to run horizontally into a y tee connected to the stack.

Would this be a floor mounted rear exit toilet.......and does such a thing exist.
If it a wall mounted toilet there would not be enough room near the stack for all the backing support you would need.
I'm only familiar with commercial wall hung toilets and those take a fairly substantial mounting plate.

Old 08-11-12, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
it is not accepted practice to connect the toilet directly to the stack.

You can connect to the stack without a vent if the stack is the vent and nothing dumps from above. Also the toilet cant be farther then 8 ft away.

Its to code as I see with the existing. But one that proposed sink and toilet are added everything changes. Essentially it turns into a wet vent when you add what you are and that was banned sometime ago in the plumbing code as far as I know.

As I look at it I see things you can do.

As far as the proposed sink, you should tie that into the washer line down near the slab.

The toilet you may want a saniflow system and pump the toilet and sink to the washer drain where it enters the slab.

This way you do not need to tie into the stack.

Old 08-11-12, 11:59 AM
T
This would be a floor mounted rear outlet toilet so backing support is not needed.

There is room for a 3x3x2 y at the rear in which to connect the proposed sink. Or I could run the 1 1/4 pipe to the right to connect to the existing sink drain pipe.

Nothing feeds into the soil stack from above. If venting is required for an existing toilet, how is this done?

Old 08-11-12, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Or I could run the 1 1/4 pipe to the right to connect to the existing sink drain pipe.
Uh... 1 1/4? A bit small no? Possibly your codes are totally different then here. We don't use 1 1/4 typically.

Nothing feeds into the soil stack from above. If venting is required for an existing toilet, how is this done?

You need to add a 3x3x2 y between the existing toilet and the stack. Then tie the 2" to the stack up where the sink vent ties in.

Now what I am telling you may be useless, because your code may allow what you have and you will be doing all this work for nothing. Your best to call your local code officials and ask them.

Old 08-11-12, 04:47 PM
T
Yes, 1 1/4" is small but it's an older house and that's how it's plumbed now, right down to and under the concrete slab. I think I have to live with it.

So I think I have a good idea of what I need to do now. I'll sketch out my plan and take it to the local township offices for approval.

Thanks to everybody for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: